We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Country photo for Guyana is terrible, ample photos avail

Berkeley, California
Level Contributor
260 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Country photo for Guyana is terrible, ample photos avail

I get a weekly email for the countries I 'follow'. The email I get for Guyana features a scrappy vision of rural poverty (emaciated bulls pulling equally emaciated people over a bone dry plot of land).

This is hardly representative of a country that is covered mostly with dense pristine tropical rainforest!

Since there are 50+ photos uploaded for Guyana, couldn't your system use one of them instead?

Boston...
Level Contributor
2,787 posts
TripAdvisor Staff  
Save Reply
1. Re: Country photo for Guyana is terrible, ample photos avail

The photos are randomly selected, if their is an issue with the photo not being in the right place or not appropriate you can mark it as such from the photo viewer.

Barbara-

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
45,410 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Country photo for Guyana is terrible, ample photos avail

TA_Barbara,

Could you elaborate on how often they're randomly selected?

I also have an issue with the photo that shows up for my destination. It's been there since the beginning of the year, and does not properly depict our destination at all! I and other members uploaded photos just to see if it would be replaced with a newer one. No luck. (btw, not the feature photo nor ours is attached to a review.) Unlike the OP, I'm describing our Tourism page.

Thanks,

Silvia

PS: I did report it as Irrelevant.

Edited: 17 August 2010, 20:55
Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
1,824 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Country photo for Guyana is terrible, ample photos avail

MRMinSF, I read your description and thought "I have to see this photo!" :-)

I don't think it's quite as bad as you make it out to be, but I agree there are many more appealing photos of Guyana on the site. It's funny that you should mention this, though, because just this week we added a photo rating feature that will allow TripAdvisor members to help us find and showcase the best/most useful/most interesting photos, so over time, with TA members' help, we should see less of this scenario.

Thanks,

Dan

Berkeley, California
Level Contributor
260 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Country photo for Guyana is terrible, ample photos avail

Hi-

Guilty-as-charged for perhaps over-describing the photo, but I have gotten exasperated seeing this dismal image week after week in my email box.

Quite a while ago I took the time to upload a bunch of personal photos hoping they would override that ox pic. But it just won't go away.

FYI I have gone in and thumbs-down'ed that picture and a few others that were super-dark and green. I guess I'll cross my fingers that your system decides to replace the offending image with something more relevant.

By the way, when someone thumbs-up's or thumbs-down's a picture, is the owner notified? I have posted a fair # of images and I'm curious to see which ones are popular or not? (related: if someone marks a review I've posted as inappropriate do I get notified of that? I realize that's slightly off topic, but seems related to the new photo like/dislike function you've deployed)

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
1,824 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Country photo for Guyana is terrible, ample photos avail

Hi MRMinSF,

As I mentioned, we just launched the thumbs-up/thumbs-down system on photos a couple days ago, so it will probably take a while before it accumulates a significant number of votes to really start working in a substantive way. At this point, no, the person who submitted the photo won't be notified of votes on it, and no, they won't be notified if someone reports a photo as inappropriate.

Thanks,

Dan

Berkeley, California
Level Contributor
260 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Country photo for Guyana is terrible, ample photos avail

Thanks TA staff for the reply.

Can I suggest that receiving feedback, such as "your post was removed as inappropriate" might help steer regular offenders towards better behavior? Similarly, if one knew their photos were being consistently disliked, that might change their uploading patterns and improve the collections of photos that remain?

As for the original issue of the lousy photo associated with weekly Guyana emails, can't someone at TA simply change a setting on the back-end to default to a different image? I don't know what the thresshold is but if we're waiting for 1000 likes or dislikes, we could be waiting a LONG time to see an improvement.

Berkeley, California
Level Contributor
260 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Country photo for Guyana is terrible, ample photos avail

Thanks for the reply.

I really think users should be notified if their post is yanked as inappropriate. Same goes for photos: unless one gets an alert that their posting was unacceptable, how will the poster know if they've done something wrong? That kind of feedback is important, and in theory should improve the quality of postings over time.

As for the original topic: can't someone at TA simply change a setting in the web software to default to a different picture? If we're waiting for a critical mass of thousands of thumbs-downs on the current default photo, we could be waiting a LONG time. Guyana isn't a hugely popular destination, after all, so traffic past that image is not likely to be frequent. Again, Guyana is primarily a rainforest country, so pix of oxcart agriculture is entirely non-representative (may as well have pictures of alpine skiing).

Berkeley, California
Level Contributor
260 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Country photo for Guyana is terrible, ample photos avail

(note: sorry for the duplicate post... after post #1 I got an error saying "your posting was not saved" so I entered again. Apparently that alert was not correct.)

Boston...
Level Contributor
2,787 posts
TripAdvisor Staff  
Save Reply
9. Re: Country photo for Guyana is terrible, ample photos avail

I looked into this further and we were able to make that photo not appear anymore in the Newsletter.

You learn something new everyday. :-)

Berkeley, California
Level Contributor
260 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Country photo for Guyana is terrible, ample photos avail

Doing a little trip advisor dance now... ;-)