We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

'1 contribution' reviews - suspicious?

Coulsdon, Surrey
Level Contributor
36 posts
225 reviews
Save Topic
'1 contribution' reviews - suspicious?

I've been researching restaurants in Palma, Mallorca for an upcoming city break. I've noticed that some of these restaurants have several 'excellent' reviews, all posted by people with only one contribution - this one. When you click on the profile of the person, there are no details given.

Is it likely that these reviews are genuine? It seems odd that a person posting a review of a restaurant would not have made some other reviews - of other restaurants, a hotel - or another destination.

Opinions please!

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,916 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: '1 contribution' reviews - suspicious?

Hi

This has been discussed many times before on this forum and also HUMTAB Forum and if you do a quick search you will find the previous threads

All users have to start off somewhere and many first time posters also post negative reviews as well

In fact when you posted your first review you were a first time poster so should people have ignore that???

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,789 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: '1 contribution' reviews - suspicious?

Hi there.

One of the things that sometimes happens is a business owner starts advertising they are listed on TripAdvisor and that sometimes brings in new members who are regular customers of the business - but new to TripAdvisor.

Businesses are allowed to place a link on their website back to their listing on TA, and when they do that it too, also brings in new users to TripAdvisor.

So just because a reviews comes from someone with only one post doesn't automatically indicate a problem. The content of those reviews is more important than the number of reviews they have submitted. Learn to read between the lines in any review or other content you read about a place. Just like you would take any recommendation with a grain of salt.

-Noah

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
6,489 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: '1 contribution' reviews - suspicious?

The replies by FF and Noah cover it well.

Also you say the reviews are questionable because they are excellent reviews by one hit wonders. If you discount those reviews you must discount the negitive bad reviews by one hitters also.

You must believe that T.A's guidelines work for both readers and owners and I believe they do. A business that gets a flow of all positive 5* reviews

and they-- lets just say-- arent deserving of them it will catch up with them one way or another.

Either a guest will say the reviews in no way describe there experiance and they will set the record straight in there review, or Big Brother will catch up with them and they will violate. Then instead of T.As green stamp on there listing there will be a big red one.----In my opinion

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
6,489 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: '1 contribution' reviews - suspicious?

As far as the not filling out profile it rarely happens for whatever reason.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,888 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: '1 contribution' reviews - suspicious?

Yes, everybody has to start somewhere.

However, to me -- in my opinion -- a "one-off" that reviews only one place and never appears again is suspicious.

And those one-offs will always, *always* be wonderful or terrible, nothing in-between. Ever.

As far as profile details, many people leave those blank, so that's not suspicious at all :-)

Coulsdon, Surrey
Level Contributor
36 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: '1 contribution' reviews - suspicious?

Thanks for all your opinions! I do appreciate that there has to be a first time for every reviewer - I only thought it a little odd when a restaurant had a predominance of '1 contribution reviews'.

Won't be long before I'm out in Palma anyway, so will check a couple out perhaps...

Another thing I'd like to understand better is how a restaurant (or hotel presumably) with only a few very good reviews takes precedence in order of popularity over another that might have a very large number of reviews, mostly very good. Is the popularity listing based on the most recent reviews?

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
72,532 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: '1 contribution' reviews - suspicious?

Hi Taxidiotissa;

There are three key things that factor into the popularity index;

• the number of reviews

• how favourable the reviews are

• how old or recent the reviews are

TripAdvisor also takes into consideration guidebooks and news articles, when available. It is not just based on the reviews and ratings you can see on the page.

Also, reviews depreciate over time so an older review, good or bad, does not factor in as much as a newer one. It's not just a simple mathematical average of all the review’s ratings.

tripadvisor.com/help/how_does_the_popularity… tripadvisor.com/help/how_do_traveler_ratings…

Best Regards

va
Level Contributor
564 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: '1 contribution' reviews - suspicious?

You gotta start somewhere !

How about your first post ?

What would you think if people viewed your first post as you suggest we view this persons ?

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
320 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: '1 contribution' reviews - suspicious?

Taxidiotissa -- It is a fair question and fair point, and one I myself have wondered about. Your main question seemed to be about establishments that have a lot of reviews by a lot of people with only one contribution each (and who seem to have no profile) and whether that should be a red flag that the reviews are being "planted" to make the restaurant look good (or possibly bad).

I think PDXNoah and Half-Brit provided excellent insight about how this can happen. I notice that situation almost exclusively with restaurants rather than hotels and attractions. Personally, I do take the number of reviews someone has written into consideration, and I do take note when a place seems to have many glowing reviews by many one-review wonders, though as PDXNoah described, there are legitimate reasons why that can happen.

10. Re: '1 contribution' reviews - suspicious?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 January 2012, 09:16