We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My identity has been stolen due to your site being hacked

nottingham
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
My identity has been stolen due to your site being hacked

I received an email from your CEO to say that my details had been stolen by a third party but my password etc were still secure however I have been informed by my identity theft insurance that my password & all my other personal details are being traded on the internet. I am lucky in that I have protection but many of your members will not so should be made aware that their details have been compromised. The email I received is one that I cannot reply to but I would like somebody to contact me urgently in this respect as this has caused me major problems. I have passed on this information to my insurance company who may well contact you. Please contact me urgently as I then wish to close my account with you to avoid any further problems. I do not wish to change my password details in case these are also traded.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,789 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My identity has been stolen due to your site being hacked

They claim your password to what account is being passed around, and did they offer actual proof?

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,920 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My identity has been stolen due to your site being hacked

Hi

How did your identity theft insurance company inform you of this - telephone call or e_mail???

nottingham
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: My identity has been stolen due to your site being hacked

My password to my trip advisor account is being traded & they proved it by telling me what my password was. I received an email from them initially but I then called them via the telephone number on my policy to ensure it was a valid email

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,920 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: My identity has been stolen due to your site being hacked

In that case TA does need to respond to this post ASAP as it does contradict what they said about the passwords not being stolen

However, being given access to your TA account does not compromise you financially as it is just a travel site or there is no underlying person data apart from that that you have posted in reviews and/or forum posts

nottingham
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: My identity has been stolen due to your site being hacked

Excuse me flipflop_man but what exactly has this got to do with you. My details HAVE been compromised. I put this message on here subsequent to the CEOs email to inform them that my password HAS been stolen which HAS affected me but the only replies I am getting are from people who it has nothing to do with. I can't believe that TA have no link where I can contact them directly instead of some public forum

Antipodes
Level Contributor
9,919 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: My identity has been stolen due to your site being hacked

Well, he's trying to help you, which is how it works when you publish your problems on an open forum.

If you could be so humble as to accept my help too, you might find that this link will assist you with your original enquiry;

tripadvisor.com/help/how_do_i_close_my_accou…

FFM, TA do likely have more than just the few things you mention. If you check their Privacy Policy it says (#2);

"To improve services and enhance personalization, we may periodically obtain information about you from other independent third-party sources from whom we have lawfully obtained this data and add it to your registration information."

...Now that could mean ANYTHING (and everything).

www.tripadvisor.com.au/pages/privacy.html

Edited: 29 March 2011, 11:11
nottingham
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: My identity has been stolen due to your site being hacked

Thank you but I do know how to close my account which was not my original enquiry. My reason for posting on here is that it is the only way to contact TA to tell them that their members passwords have been stolen despite them saying that they haven't. If I close my account prior to hearing from them I have no way of contacting them & flipflop man is saying that they do not need to contact me urgently while I believe that they do as they said in their email that it has been passed on to the law enforcement so they DO need to know that the information has been compromised as I am sure that lots of members use the same password for lots of accounts not just TA so it is essential that they are told about this

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,554 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: My identity has been stolen due to your site being hacked

FFM said "In that case TA does need to respond to this post ASAP as it does contradict what they said about the passwords not being stolen"

So where did he say they did not need to contact you?

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,920 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: My identity has been stolen due to your site being hacked

lizd

As Annabelle has said if you read my statement again I said they need to respond to your thread ASAP

On the point of users using the same password on multiple accounts this is bad practice and IMHO TA cannot be held responsible for that. They can however be held responsible for not supply users with the full details of the theft of data if that is proven to be the case

nottingham
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: My identity has been stolen due to your site being hacked

sorry ffm I thought your reply said they do NOT need to contact me asap. I am just annoyed that TA have no way of direct contact for such a serious breach of privacy, the email they sent should have had a direct link so that people could respond. also if my insurance company wish to contact them to liaise about the problem they have no way of doing so at all as you have to be a registered user to post a question