We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How do I write or edit an attraction traveler description?

USA
Level Contributor
6,981 posts
236 reviews
Save Topic
How do I write or edit an attraction traveler description?

I have done it the past, don't see the way now. Any help, please?

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
97,294 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How do I write or edit an attraction traveler description?

Are you referring to one of your Traveler Articles? If so, just select Traveler Articles from your Contributions, click on the one you wish to edit and then just hit 'Edit this Page'.

You can then amend the title, if you so desire, or the article.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,200 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How do I write or edit an attraction traveler description?

This used to be tied to the Traveller Articles for that attraction; in some cases it still is, but apparently only if the Traveller Articles were in place before the connection was severed. Now, I believe only Owner Descriptions are allowed, which are submitted through the Management Center.

To add to the confusion, in some casesTraveller Article text for attractions is labelled as Owner Descriptions on their listing page. Here is an example of that:

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g154913-d3…

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g154913-d311334/Calga…

And here is one with a Traveller Description:

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g154913-d1…

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g154913-d155479/Calga…

Edited: 18 August 2011, 17:25
USA
Level Contributor
6,981 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How do I write or edit an attraction traveler description?

Thanks. I guess I am out of luck, these were not written by me. As one is a public park, I would be offended to see "owner description" attached to it. What is the best way to have TripAdvisor revise or remove a horribly incorrect description?

Macau, China
Level Contributor
11 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How do I write or edit an attraction traveler description?

I was wondering the same thing. I really dislike that travelers can no longer add a description of attractions. What if it's a monument, or a park? There is no "owner." How do we complain? A well written description can be better than reviews! I'm bummed.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,200 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How do I write or edit an attraction traveler description?

Hoogo, I would use the instructions on this page to report the errors:

tripadvisor.ca/help/how_to_alert_us_when_a_l…

I realize it's meant primarily for correcting addresses etc., but should also work for incorrect descriptions.

Nataliegoes, you could write a Traveller Article round up several similar attractions in that area (parks, monuments, other public places) and describe them all in one article. I think an article about a single attraction, especially if it's a paid attraction, might be removed.

USA
Level Contributor
6,981 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How do I write or edit an attraction traveler description?

Country_Wife, I used that link on the 18th. I will let you know if it works.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,788 posts
1,036 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How do I write or edit an attraction traveler description?

I can see both sides of this.

Take a park, for example. One person visits during the middle of the day on a weekday in the fall. They give a general description, location etc and also say it's "peaceful and quiet".

Another person visits on a summer weekend and the place is packed with families and kids running around and playing. Their description would be completely different!

So which description is correct?

That said, I liked the "old" idea of tying in the descriptions to a Trav/Article.

This is one time it would really, really help if a TA staff member would pop in!

Macau, China
Level Contributor
11 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How do I write or edit an attraction traveler description?

Well, then a third person who knows that it is a description and not a review changes it to a 16 acre park rather than a busy park or a quiet park. It's a wiki-article and it will keep changing. I've started articles that I thought were very factual and informative and had people change them. My first inclination when I get the email notifying me of the change is "Hmmmfff." But then I see that some one has added hours or a phone number. These article are great and should be encouraged. I'm really annoyed that the option for them has gone. And I would like to make a complaint/suggestion that they should be returned. Now, if I can just find a place to make a complaint/suggestion....

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,200 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How do I write or edit an attraction traveler description?

Nataliegoes, it's still possible to edit and create new Traveller Articles, although it is best to not write them about any single business. If it's a free park, then that's probably okay. To see the Traveller Articles for any destination, go to any page for that destination and then click on the Travel Guide link in the left hand menu bar. At the bottom of the large Traveller Articles box at the top of the Travel Guide page, click on "View more Traveller Articles" to see all articles for that destination (you wouldn't want to duplicate an existing article, and only a select few are listed on the Travel Guide page).

And yes, there is a suggestion forum: Help Us Make TA Better (HUMTAB) forum is at tripadvisor.ca/ShowForum-g1-i12104-Help_us_m…

Edited: 27 August 2011, 05:17
Macau, China
Level Contributor
11 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How do I write or edit an attraction traveler description?

Thanks for your help. I wrote an article using your directions. It's just not the same though. It doesn't appear at the head of the attraction. You have to use the directions you gave me to even find the thing, which very few people are going to do. I feel like it was a waste of time. Guess I'll just have to use the link for making a complaint/suggestion.