We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just what do people expect from the (travel) forums?

Broadland
Level Contributor
541 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
Just what do people expect from the (travel) forums?

Perfectly valid question - I so often see requests for almost open-ended help on many of the travel forums. Are people incapable of looking at the many reviews posted and making up their own minds?

And why do people post reports of their trips? Trips, holidays are highly subjective.

I'm genuinely puzzled.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,083 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just what do people expect from the (travel) forums?

The first question is tough. Sometimes I think people are so excited to discover the forums that they post far too early in the course of their research, rather than waiting until they have more specific questions. But I think this is usually self-limiting, as vague questions usually lead to very general answers, or a request for more specific questions.

As for trip reports, you may not like them, but many do. Of course trip reports are of widely varying quality, but even an average trip report can helps the other folks on the forums to get some feedback about what advice worked for them, what didn't work, what that kind of traveller enjoyed and didn't like, and so on. Trip reports are so helpful that many DEs compile lists of them for easy reference. Then they can refer the TA members who have very general questions to the trip reports so that they can get a feel for itineraries and experiences that worked for other travellers.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,611 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just what do people expect from the (travel) forums?

I think overall the destination forums work

Yes some people ask questions without giving sufficient information. Yes the same questions come up time and time again

No one forces anyone to reply

In many ways the forums are a far better source of information than the reviews themselves

3. Re: Just what do people expect from the (travel) forums?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2012, 14:17