We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

why do my reviews all have added spelling mistakes!

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Topic
why do my reviews all have added spelling mistakes!

Hi

I've submitted 2 reviews, and both have been edited by you to include new spelling mistakes or words missing (one review had the words "Good points" removed which made no sense!!!!! I'm not posting anything else as it looks like I cant spell!!!!!!!!!

CHECK YOUR SPELLING!

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,924 posts
TripAdvisor Staff  What's this?
Save Reply
1. Re: why do my reviews all have added spelling mistakes!

Dear surfchickmorgs,

Thanks for submitting your comments -- however, please note that we do not edit the contents of any reviews. We leave all spelling, grammatical and typographical errors intact, because if we were to start acting as editors for all authors, it would take a very long time for anything to be published. We do not act as transcriptionists, all reviews are published directly from the content you provide in our Review Submission forms.

The purpose of the TripAdvisor site is to offer our members the opportunity to write their own reviews -- to edit the contents of your reviews would mean the reviews are in our words, not yours.

Many of the members who regularly contribute on the HUMTAB and TA Support forums recommend that every author should write and save their reviews in a Word document (or similar document processing software). That way you can proofread your content before submission, pass it through a spell-checker, and look for other formatting errors, as well as add or change any portion that you are unsatisfied with. If you have problems with the review submission process -- such as forgetting your TA log-in password -- it is a simple matter to copy the review from the version saved on your hard drive and paste it into the Review Submission form, rather than losing a lengthy narrative that you must then re-create.

You can ask for the removal of your own review, so that you can revise the text. Follow either of these links to our Help Center:

www.tripadvisor.com/help/can_i_edit_my_review

tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_remove_a_review_…

and follow the instructions to "email us".

While our link to the Help Center is not very prominently placed, we do offer that link on virtually every page on our site. Scroll to the bottom of the browser page, and note the TripAdvisor logo, directly beneath which is a series of linked options in blue bold-face type.

Our Help Center is where we offer FAQs, guidelines and instructions on navigation of the site, and use of the various features, tools, and options available to our members.

Kind regards,

TA_Jane

TripAdvisor Support Team

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
35 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: why do my reviews all have added spelling mistakes!

Unfortunately not all spelling mistakes are under the control of the reviewer. In the case of my local town (Obihiro, Hokkaido, Japan) the basic listings are full of errors (names, addresses and categories).

I think these result from some kind of automatic Japanese to English translation being used. Sometimes the errors can be pretty basic, for example 'hourse' instead of 'horse' (see tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g608507-d1… )

I've been reporting these errors again and again. Sometimes they are corrected, sometimes not. I've also tried to write to staff about this, but the replies don't seem to be from humans.

3. Re: why do my reviews all have added spelling mistakes!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 05:15