We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BEWARE booking flights with children on TripAdvisor

Angeles City...
3 posts
Save Topic
BEWARE booking flights with children on TripAdvisor

OK I love TripAdvisor and use it all the time for flights and hotel bookings.

Today however I decided to start getting prices for my family vacation to the United Kingdom (LHR), flying round trip from Philippines (MNL). I input my dates 24th March 2012 to 29th April 2012 and number of travelers 5.

Unable to locate anywhere to state whether adults or children, so just entered 5 travelers.

Results came back stating Kuwait Airlines were the cheapest. I clicked on select this flight to see what the total would be and was directed to the CheapOair website.

At the CheapOair website it showed that we were a party of 5 adults. OK no problem, I'll just redo my booking using CheapOair as I am able to input the number of adults and children.

To my surprise when I did this the fare came back $200+ cheaper than what the quote from TripAdvisor was for the exact same flight.

Kuwait Airlines offer a child discount which basically equates to me getting almost free travel insurance for the 5 of us if I opt for it.

I still love TripAdvisor and will continue using it. I just wish to point out that if you are travelling with children, you may want to do what I did and see if the airline you have chosen offers child discounts. I don't think many do, but Kuwait Airlines do :)

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,334 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: BEWARE booking flights with children on TripAdvisor

and if you want to have a nice relaxing drink whilst on your flight,you won't be getting that with Kuwait airlines,they are a DRY airline

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: BEWARE booking flights with children on TripAdvisor

Yes, that is a shortcoming in TA Flight Search that has come up in this forum and HUMTAB forum several times.

Most airlines have discounted fares for infants (< 2 years) and children (2-11 years).

Angeles City...
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: BEWARE booking flights with children on TripAdvisor

I've never flown Kuwait Airlines. I am only just looking for prices. Just wanted to point out that $200+ saving is possible by rebooking yourself at CheapOair.

TripAdvisor needs to allow you to add children to your booking.

As for being dry, next closest flight in price right now is Emirates @ $250+ per adult. Going dry is an easy option :)

I'm open to sugestions, but right now Kuwait Airlines has the price right LOL.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: BEWARE booking flights with children on TripAdvisor

If you book with Cheapoair you next post may be "BEWARE booking flights with Cheapoair". Do a search on Air Travel forum and you will see why.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g1-i10702-Air_Tr…

Always book direct with the airline whenever possible.

Angeles City...
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: BEWARE booking flights with children on TripAdvisor

Thanks for the advice, appreciate it.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
603 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: BEWARE booking flights with children on TripAdvisor

I have always got a child discount on all the airlines we have flown internationally and thats been at least 15. Some of the real cheapies that fly domestically may not or your Ryan Airs but all the good standard airlines offer between 65-75% off fare (taxes are different). Sometimes its just quicker and cheaper to ring the airline and enquire.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: BEWARE booking flights with children on TripAdvisor

<<Just wanted to point out that $200+ saving is possible by rebooking yourself at CheapOair.>>

yeh right, good luck with that. Take serious notice of Hans' post.

<<TripAdvisor needs to allow you to add children to your booking.>>

Trip Advisor DOES NOT DO BOOKINGS. All you are doing is a SEARCH across some booking sites, NOT a booking. The booking is done on the website that Trip Advisor send you to.

Sorry but all your post amounts to is that if you do a search for 5 adults, its a different price than for 3 adults and 2 children.

I always find it much simpler when searching to get a price for one person, however many will be travelling. That then rules out any complications or issues as to how many people the price is for, which can be unclear on some web sites. You can also use kayak or http://matrix.itasoftware.com/ for price searches. Beware where these sites send you to though, as above, dont imagine that just because one websites sends you to another, that means they have vetted the quality.

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,731 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: BEWARE booking flights with children on TripAdvisor

To be a bit pedantic, the OP's statement, "I love TripAdvisor and use it all the time for flights and hotel bookings." is inaccurate. As Joe pointed out in his post #7, TA is NOT a booking site. It does have ways to search, but you always go to another site for the actual booking.

Despite the promises and come-ons from the third party sites, you can often do as well dealing with the hotel and airlines websites directly, and when things go pear-shaped as sometimes happens, you will usually get better customer service if you've booked directly rather than through a third party. I know there are exceptions; I've used expedia, orbitz, and travelocity with good results myself. Always carefully read the terms and conditions before you book.

9. Re: BEWARE booking flights with children on TripAdvisor

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 November 2012, 05:15