We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whatever Travellers are Raving about, I wish they would stop

Essex
Level Contributor
27,119 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Whatever Travellers are Raving about, I wish they would stop

OK have posted on a prev thread started by muftimixandmatch, as I know it is a pain royal to have many threads on the same subject.

However Mufti's thread title did not really address what I wanted to try and get across, so I have started a new one here.

Suddenly on the forum pages there is a long list at the very top of the page of "Things Travellers are Raving about".

This now means that when you click on a thread to read it, you are now half-way down the page before you reach the header post and comments.

This is sending me Raving!! - Raving mad in fact!!

Please TA can we stop this useless silliness now?

Thanks!!

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,762 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whatever Travellers are Raving about, I wish they would stop

Another feature we did not ask for and do not want!!!

Luckily, it has disappeared again from the server I am logged onto

Edited: 11 March 2012, 13:59
haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,037 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whatever Travellers are Raving about, I wish they would stop

Starting to fell like a bunch of guinea pigs here with all this experimentation........really TA, you already had a great product, stop tweaking it already !.....

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,872 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whatever Travellers are Raving about, I wish they would stop

I've seen this off and on for the last week or so. Fact is, the hotels "everyone" is raving about are about the last hotels I would send any visitor!!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,175 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whatever Travellers are Raving about, I wish they would stop

Will post my comments here as well.

Over the last 4-5 days, the "ravings" and the "recently reviewed" have changed places on my screen almost twice a day" top or bottom.

When the ravings are in the upper right, the white gap is quite irritating to scroll across. The first thing I want to do is "delete all" only to find it can't be done.

Having the recently reviewed in the upper right is more useful than the ravings because the majority of people would be helped by being able to easily navigate back to what they had recently reviewed.

I recently saw that one hotel in the ravings had 1 (one) review. One traveller! Some raving going on there!!

Essex
Level Contributor
27,119 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Whatever Travellers are Raving about, I wish they would stop

Raving is a relative term, I suspect!!

In my case, it is Raving annoyed!!

Essex
Level Contributor
27,119 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Whatever Travellers are Raving about, I wish they would stop

Oh goody, it seems to have stopped, for the moment, anyway!

Newton...
Destination Expert
for Newton
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
TripAdvisor Staff  What's this?
Save Reply
7. Re: Whatever Travellers are Raving about, I wish they would stop

Hi EssexWanderer and all,

The "Hotels travelers are raving about..." section is being tested in the same spot as the "Recently viewed" section. But I think the issue is that recently when you are viewing the forums in "expanded view", there is a big chunk of white space at the top which pushes all of the posts down a bit. It looks like the white space started happening when the "Recently Viewed" feature was moved up, and is not specifically related to "Hotels travelers are raving about..."

We've filed the issue with the white space as a bug-- in the meantime, if you view the forums in "original view" (not "expanded view") you won't see the block of white space at the top. I know that's it's ideal to switch to this view if you like "expanded view", so we are hoping this gets addressed when we bring it to the engineers' attention.

Thanks!

TA_Jeanine

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,175 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Whatever Travellers are Raving about, I wish they would stop

>>there is a big chunk of white space at the top which pushes all of the posts down a bit.<< That's correct, as well as pushing the topics on the main forums. I only get the white space under 2 conditions, when the "ravings" are in the upper right (not able to be deleted) or when the 'recently viewed" are in the upper right (able to be deleted, which gets rid of the white space.)

Thank you for forwarding this to the engineers. It's only 3 scrolls to plow over the sea of white, but it is really irritating on a regular basis. Being able to delete the "ravings" would take care of the problem as far as I'm concerned.

Essex
Level Contributor
27,119 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Whatever Travellers are Raving about, I wish they would stop

Expanded view is great because it requires less 'scrolling' down the pages alltogether, in order to read the same amount of text (usually), than does the original view.

So IMO that arguement, TA_Jeanine, does not hold much water.

Still this is TA so it is not for me to say, eh??

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,850 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Whatever Travellers are Raving about, I wish they would stop

Jeanine, the extra scrolling is not the only problem with these "raving" reviews in the top right corner! For those of us who are on TA daily, in a variety of forums, answering traveler's questions, the fact is the "raving" is garish and blaring.

Perhaps you saw my thread on this same subject?

"Once again, I am seeing this in the top right corner - blaring and garish.

I participate in forums to assist travelers.

I know where to look to find information and reviews about lodging if I need it.

I don't need something telling me about hotels on every darn forum I read!

Please, TA - get rid of this!"

I had a VERY bad feeling when these first started showing up that this would be yet another "improvement" we will be forced to accept :-(

But having to have hotels blasted at me every time I'm on a destination forum will get very old, very fast.