We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Operator threatened me, won't allow negative reviews

Bairnsdale...
Level Contributor
10 posts
119 reviews
Save Topic
Operator threatened me, won't allow negative reviews

I recently wrote a review on Tripadvisor (not yet published) and have been threatened by the operator who has been very irrational and angry about the review. As it turns out, the operator has put a clause in the rental contract that we cannot post a negative review of the apartment anywhere (an admission of guilt?). As such, I have withdrawn the unpublished review.

However, I don't believe that this operator should be allowed to list their property on Tripadvisor if they will only allow positive reviews. This is against the spirit of the site and its objectives. What is your opinion? Should I advise Tripadvisor? How do I do this?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
22,903 posts
1,622 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Operator threatened me, won't allow negative reviews

How does the apartment owner know you are writing or have written a negative review if it hasnt been published yet?

Tommo

Bairnsdale...
Level Contributor
10 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Operator threatened me, won't allow negative reviews

It was an apartment, and from what I understand, Tripadvisor checks with the operator that you did actually stay there prior to posting the review. The operator has obviously seen the full review.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,789 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Operator threatened me, won't allow negative reviews

Hi Shannon M

That is a bummer. FYI - the owner has not seen the full review, they are just asked to confirm if you stayed there. If they have a clause in the rental agreement preventing reviews - they are up in arms only because there is a review, they haven't seen it yet.

The rules for Vacation Rental listings are a bit different from the reviews of other listings. To be honest, I don't know what can be done - but you will need to contact staff and this forum is not a way to do that.

What I would do is use this particular "contact us" form to reach TA staff and ask what can be done: www.tripadvisor.com/ContactUs…

I hope that helps

Noah

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
41,743 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Operator threatened me, won't allow negative reviews

Too bad you withdrew your review!

I wonder if that contract clause is actually legal in the country where this place is located. One thing is a contract clause not to review at all; another, not to post negative reviews. There must be some consumer protection laws that forbid such a clause.

Silvia

Bairnsdale...
Level Contributor
10 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Operator threatened me, won't allow negative reviews

The operators are French living part-time in the US; the apartment is in France. They seem to think that their caretakers must've put us into another apartment that's not theirs, because how could we possibly write a bad review on their apartment?

Anyways, I suppose that I will use the contact form Noah has provided above and let Tripadvisor know. It just makes me think twice about ever renting an apartment again, because who knows what you'll get or how you'll be treated.

Thanks for the advice everyone, much appreciated.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,013 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Operator threatened me, won't allow negative reviews

Vacation rental owners do not get to see the review. They are only asked to confirm if the reviewer has stayed there. How could they possibly think or deduce that you had written a bad review? -

<<They seem to think that their caretakers must've put us into another apartment that's not theirs, because how could we possibly write a bad review on their apartment?>>

Are there other reviews posted to that property? If so, then they could not be upset that you have simply written a review.

What else is involved in this situation? Is there any way they would remember you from an incident that happened? Otherwise this situation makes no sense.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
22,903 posts
1,622 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Operator threatened me, won't allow negative reviews

Im not following it either.

We dont use our real names here so Im not sure how they confirm if we stayed there or not?

Tommo

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Operator threatened me, won't allow negative reviews

Procedure for reviewing holiday/vacation rentals is different. You have to write the name of the person that signed the contract in the review template.

Bairnsdale...
Level Contributor
10 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Operator threatened me, won't allow negative reviews

I signed a rental contract as it is a holiday apartment (standard for the other apartments we have stayed at where we haven't had any problems). It is not a company-owned resort, or hotel or whatever, it's a privately owned apartment. They therefore have my contact details (phone, address, email etc). I wrote a review on Tripadvisor when I returned home and TA obviously then contacted the operators to check that I had actually stayed there before publishing the review. The operators emailled me and asked if I enjoyed my stay - obviously they were sussing out whether the review was good or bad. I emailled them back and said no I wasn't happy. Then they started harrassing me. I hope that makes things a little clearer.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,013 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Operator threatened me, won't allow negative reviews

Thanks for that clarification, Shannon. I would click on the blue print link in #3 on the last line of the text to contact TA about this. Copy the emails into the text box that opens up if possible. I'm not sure if there is a maximum number of characters (including spaces) but you will soon find out. They say they take harassment of reviewers very seriously. I'm sure they will want to know and act on it. If they can't act on it because it is Flipkey, they will advise you how to proceed.