We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Saved Trips-Old Format soon to be transferred to New Format

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,010 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Saved Trips-Old Format soon to be transferred to New Format

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i12105-k5556259…

At post #18 on the above link, Jeanine has mentioned that <<The old Trips page will be available until we add this type of functionality to the new one.>>

A number of questions seem to be popping up on several threads so I would like to try to create a central thread, with a catchy title, :-) to help people know the answer. If it is in fact known at this point by TA.

Does this mean that the Saved Trips currently in the old format will be automatically transferred to the new format according to the alphabetical listing of geographical locations?

Will the old format that allows custom folders to be created disappear as we know it now and not be accessible after the transfer?

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
41,743 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Saved Trips-Old Format soon to be transferred to New Format

My understanding from TA_Jeanine's post is that the old trips page won't go anywhere until the same functionality is built into the new format.

". The old Trips page will be available until we add this type of functionality to the new one."

Silvia

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,010 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Saved Trips-Old Format soon to be transferred to New Format

Oooooh, that's slightly different than what I have been wondering, Silvia. If they are going to add "this type of functionality" to the new format, then I'm in. That would mean we could create our own custom folders and place our saves where we want to in the New Format. I hope TA will clarify because I thought the new alphabetical geographical list (that you cannot see) will be the new Saved Trips style.

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
41,743 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Saved Trips-Old Format soon to be transferred to New Format

Yup, and one of TA_Jeanine's paragraphs in her first post on that thread says:

"There is a new "Trips" page -- properties you save are automatically placed into a folder with the name of the city the property is located in. If you save a forum post from a non-city-specific forum, it saves into a folder called "World".

"Because the new Saves page doesn't have all of the functionality (yet) that the old page does, we have kept the older "My Trips" page too. You can get to it from a link on the bottom of the new "Trips" page. If you want to move around items you have saved (ie organize them into new folders), the older "My Trips" page is the place to do this type of organizing at the moment."

I'm not sure what the new alphabetical geographical list is. I always save into city/country folders.

Silvia

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,010 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Saved Trips-Old Format soon to be transferred to New Format

The new alphabetical geographical list is the way TA has set up Saved Trips in the new format. You can't see this, for some reason. When I go up to the top edge, choose "Saved Trips" from Your Trip Advisor, I only get a TA imposed list of cities to which all my saved trips have been moved and distributed.

Personally, I think they should have only included the link to the old format on the newly installed Saved Trips page.

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
98,806 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Saved Trips-Old Format soon to be transferred to New Format

In the old saved trips folder it is just the forum post that you clicked on to save that is stored. When these have been transferred to the new Saved Trips folder the entire thread has been saved.

I'm only interested in the one post that I selected to save, I do not want the entire thread saved.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Saved Trips-Old Format soon to be transferred to New Format

See what you mean. Will be drowning in unwanted posts soon maybe should just <watch the topic> if I`m keeping the whole thing anyway.

Hope it doesn`t all end in tears (mine) if the whole thing becomes unusable and if they don`t keep it simple I`ll quickly be lost.

Perhaps I should start saving things somewhere else.just in case. Don`t know what I`d do without my saved trips.

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
98,806 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Saved Trips-Old Format soon to be transferred to New Format

hugo64:

You could always bookmark them on your internet browser and save them as favourites in a separate folder.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Saved Trips-Old Format soon to be transferred to New Format

Thanks for the suggestion bellagio. Would have to get help from hubby or kids to do that.. Am very internet unsavvy and just like to stick in my comfort zone.

Just moaning cos things just keep getting more complicated and less straight forward.

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
98,806 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Saved Trips-Old Format soon to be transferred to New Format

hugo64:

I know where you are coming from.

I'm a believer in the old saying:

'If it ain't broke, don't fix it'

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
Level Contributor
4,873 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Saved Trips-Old Format soon to be transferred to New Format

>> You could always bookmark them on your internet browser and save them as favourites in a separate folder.

To me that is a major point - To be of value the TA saved information system has to be easier to use and offer significant function over alternative solutions - currently the new system is neither.

The original TA saved trips function allowed you to save individual reviews and forum posts which was not easy to achieve using bookmarks but the new system only saves pointers to entire listings and threads which is just as easy to achieve with bookmarks.

TA Jane and Jeanine have indicated that there is a bug with saving individual posts but there is nothing to indicate they plan to reintroduce saving of individual reviews.

TA have said that more functionality will be added to the new Trips folders which is why the have kept the old My Trips for now but I am surprised that they rolled out the new system with so little usability at this stage. They could have reintroduced the Save option on listings using the existing folders without changing the folder structure at the same time!

TA currently uses the tag 'Plan the perfect trip' - The saved trip function should be a tool to help me do that and not just a second rate bookmark folder. I posted my ideas of what a Trip planner should include on HUMTAB tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i12104-k5559687…