We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Verification of stay for review

Wellington, NZ
1 post
Save Topic
Verification of stay for review

I have just left a very positive review on your partner Flipkeys site. However, I am about to write a very negative review about another apartment that we used. It occurs to me that, as the owner knows I will post a negative review (we did the responsible thing and complained directly to him in the first instance to give him a chance to rectify matters), what is to stop him denying that I stayed there? What sort of verification would I have to provide and how long would the process take before my review was posted? These are very important questions because if the owner must in effect "approve" reviews, why should travellers have confidence in Trip Advisor?

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
100,649 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Verification of stay for review

This is the Help us make TripAdvisor better! forum for making suggestions to improve the Trip Advisor website.

For future reference you should post queries of this nature on the Support Forum which you can find at this link:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g1-i12105-TripAd…

You may well find that a moderator does move it to that site.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,095 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Verification of stay for review

TA does contact the owner for confirmation of your stay. The review is not presented to the owner. If the owner does not verify your stay, TA then contacts you for proof of stay. There is no clear information about the Vacation Rental review process other than that. There is no information that I can find about what TA would do if the owner denied that a guest stayed there. But logic would have it that in light of such a discrepancy, TA would then ask you for proof of stay to support your review.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,929 posts
TripAdvisor Staff  
Save Reply
3. Re: Verification of stay for review

... moved from HUMTAB to TA Support.

TA_Jane

TripAdvisor Support Team

Luxor, Egypt
Level Contributor
2,220 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Verification of stay for review

I rent out via FlipKey, and as far as I'm aware any review is published whether I agree or not. Thankfully, I've never had cause to object to a review, but I don't think it would make any difference if I did!

Regards,

Edward.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
73,926 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Verification of stay for review

Hi JaneandChris6;

TA staff have posted this comment previously, in response to a similar query.

"Just to clarify, Vacation Rental owners don't have veto power on posting negative reviews. Owners can NOT read reviews before they are posted. If your vacation rental review isn't posted and we let you know its because an owner denied you stayed there, you can write us back and we will work with you to obtain the necessary proof that you did and research this with them."

Best Regards

6. Re: Verification of stay for review

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 16:18