We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New look for "Things To Do"

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
3,760 posts
196 reviews
Save Topic
New look for "Things To Do"

The long-awaited revamp of the Things To Do pages has launched today (well, on the .co.uk site at least).

The Tours tab has be changed to Activites and great news for those users frustrated with all the spas and beauty salons clogging up the Attractions tab, they've been moved here under a new category "Wellness/Spas". The are other new Activities categories including "Gear Rentals" where the watersports activites have now gone to separate them from Tours.

I've also noticed that Cinemas and Theatres no longer come under Nightlife, just Attractions. I'm a bit mystified why Coffeehouses come under the Clubs tab with a DJ symbol though; makes me wonder what TA's definition of a coffehouse is?!

A curious points I've noticed are that where an attraction is tagged with two or more categories, they only seem to be come under one of the tabs now.

I do think it's likely to cause a increase in reporting attractions categorised incorrectly though; for example, the new "Ranch & Farm" tab under Activities has now got all the children's petting zoos that have been tagged as Farms rather than Zoos.

But on the whole it looks good and think it will be much easier for users to filter their search interest without having to tick and untick the boxes as before. Well done TA for listening, and making this change!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,943 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New look for "Things To Do"

Just took a look and it's different on the Maui Things to do also. I like the new look but the businesses that are in certain categories are very wrong. Imagine a snorkel business that teaches kids and adults how to snorkel under gear rental!! Oh my they don't rent any equipment!!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,099 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: New look for "Things To Do"

Just looked at the Edinburgh one, I like the idea of the various sections but unfortunatly there are many glaring errors and things obviously placed in the wrong sections.ie Shopping ,No1 place for shopping is the Edinburgh Military Tattoo, also listed under shopping are concert halls , art galleries and cycle hire places.

maybe just a few hiccups that may get sorted but I don't hold out much hope for that to happen,but will wait and se.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,099 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: New look for "Things To Do"

just noticed the German Market is listed which is only on in the city for the few weeks before Christmas, I thought tempory things like this were not allowed to be listed, maybe the rules have changed.

Casablanca
Level Contributor
884 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: New look for "Things To Do"

In Casablanca, " Morocco" get mixed and did not have sepration in the activities as i can see other attractions mixed with tours hope Tripadvisor staff can fix that too have a look into this : tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g293732-Activiti…

I think it's better if they did not change this one.

Any thought about this.

Thanks

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
41,278 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New look for "Things To Do"

One step forward, several steps back - again!!!

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt
Level Contributor
9,434 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New look for "Things To Do"

I've had just told someone to go to the 'Tours' tab!!!!!

2nd post now says 'Activities'!!!!!

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
3,760 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New look for "Things To Do"

HamidB499 - you are not seeing the new subcategories for Casablanca because each section needs over 20 listings before these will appear.

Perhpas compare Casablanca with Marrakech which has 300 "Things To Do" so many of the new subcategory tabs are visible tripadvisor.co.uk/Attractions-g293734-Activi…

Casablanca
Level Contributor
884 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: New look for "Things To Do"

Yes i saw that, that's why i make the comparison and posted on this topic.

thank you for explaining.

H

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt
Level Contributor
9,434 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New look for "Things To Do"

One result of this is that any traveller articles, with links to e.g. reviews now no longer link!!

As an example tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g294205-c160006/Lux…

Just need to put them all back in with, presumably, their NEW URLs

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
41,278 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New look for "Things To Do"

"Just need to put them all back in with, presumably, their NEW URLs" - "Just", a very small word with very big implications.

Edited: 07 November 2012, 06:56