We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How do I subscribe to a forum?

Pleasant Hill, Ohio
Level Contributor
6 posts
105 reviews
Save Topic
How do I subscribe to a forum?

I'd like to subscribe to a forum, in my case the one for the town where I live, so that I can help people who post questions about town. That makes me a good resource as I know the place well.

I can't find a way to subscribe to a forum such as this however. I can only subscribe to a post UNDER the forum topic and unless I visit the site every day (not gonna happen) I'll never know someone is asking for help.

Please don't suggest a news feed. That's an excuse, not a solution.

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,537 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How do I subscribe to a forum?

Just visit the site as often as you want to and answer questions then. There's no need to feel you are "on call" to answer questions as they come up.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How do I subscribe to a forum?

I believe Destination Experts get an e-mail summarizing recent posts (especially ones that have gone unanswered) but typically DEs are nominated and appointed after building up a track record of helping out on a forum. For the rest of us, TripAdvisor doesn't have a forum activity e-mail notification feature.

I haven't tried it, but Blogtrottr is a service that generates e-mail notifications for RSS news feeds. So you'd just need to find the RSS feed for the forum you want to follow, e.g. www.tripadvisor.com/Feeds-i1116-tforums.xml for Dayton, OH, and sign up for notifications on that feed via www.Blogtrottr.com .

Pleasant Hill, Ohio
Level Contributor
6 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How do I subscribe to a forum?

That's unfortunate. I review often however I admit I seldom visit the forums because 99.9% of the postings don't apply to me and aren't something I can help with. I'm not likely to visit often as I have a real job that takes most of my time, but I would happily be "on call" as you say to help people with questions about my local town. TripAdvisor doesn't give me any way to do that. Pretty short sighted in my opinion.

The RSS system is really knocking down the back door in order to do something that I should be welcomed in the front door for doing.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
54,758 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How do I subscribe to a forum?

You can set your favourite TA page to come up when you open your computer. Or bookmark it into your favourites. Just a couple of steps on your part would satisfy your question.

Edited: 30 November 2012, 19:41
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How do I subscribe to a forum?

How do I put this delicately? I don't answer questions on the TripAdvisor forums because I'm impressed by the way the forums are built or run. It'd be closer to the truth to say I answer questions _in spite_ of the forum setup, because lots of real travellers ask questions here and I think I can help make them better informed.

TripAdvisor made the decision a long while back to build and maintain their own custom forum software. I think it's unlikely the notification features you're looking for will be added any time soon, especially since bookmarks or an RSS reader or a service like Blogtrottr can provide the same functionality.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,789 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How do I subscribe to a forum?

Hyacinth Bucket?

7. Re: How do I subscribe to a forum?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 15:16