We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting hassle from property owner

Newcastle-under-Lyme...
Level Contributor
168 posts
203 reviews
Save Topic
Getting hassle from property owner

I've left a completely genuine (albeit very poor) review for an establishment. The owner, clearly not happy, has been bombarding me with emails, threats to bill my credit card and telephone calls at all hours (including one a few minutes ago - 10.45pm on a Sunday night)

Any tips?!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,039 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting hassle from property owner

Hi simonp820,

It is against guidelines for an owner to hassle you like this. Please read the following:

An owner contacted me directly to remove a review. What can I do?

…custhelp.com/app/…20contacted

Please contact TA, inform them of the situation including that you have emails (please don't delete them) and document the calls (and stop answering them). That behaviour is inexcusable. Here's how to contact TA Staff:

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/GeneralSupport

Reviews > questions about guidelines

Sorry, there doesn't seem to be a better contact choice but this report drop-down does have a dialogue box. This owner is attempting to get you to remove your review (and is manipulating reviews by doing so).

Thanks for posting about this.

Regards,

L4

Edited: 09 December 2012, 23:06
Essex
Level Contributor
27,032 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting hassle from property owner

Warn your credit card company also, and tell them that you do not authorise any payments to this place/individual.

Better still (though annoying) cancel your card and get your cc co to send you a new one with different number etc and tell them why.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,795 posts
1,037 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting hassle from property owner

If you are getting harassing telephone calls, notify the police.

Newcastle-under-Lyme...
Level Contributor
168 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting hassle from property owner

Hi folks,

Thanks for your feedback. I don't really want to cancel by credit card if I can help but equally shouldn't have any issues actioning a chargeback if she does try to bill it again.

There seems little point in notifying TA - what exactly can they do?

I am making a statement to the Police today to at least give her a warning to stop calling me at all hours!

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting hassle from property owner

There seems little point in notifying TA - what exactly can they do?

-------

They can put a note against the property that this proprietor is attempting to manipulate reviews by contacting reviewers.

Newcastle-under-Lyme...
Level Contributor
168 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting hassle from property owner

... and in the management response she claims to have notified her legal team, the Police (I know to be false) and all local accommodation providers!!

She's clearly bonkers but I do object to her lies and libellous comments being available for all to see. I've reported the response to TA - awaiting their outcome.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,876 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting hassle from property owner

I was hassled with Private Messages by a local motel manager here who told me I was "being watched " for possible legal action, among other nasty stuff- and I forwarded his PM's to userreviewsupport@tripadvisor.com and it all stopped immediately. I can't speak for Trip Advisor, but I am aware they have an office called something like Fraud and Integrity that contacts owners who are harassing people and among other things can lower their numerical rank on the site or put a red warning label on their website saying that they are attempting to skew the reviews. Owners are sent letters telling them that consequences if they continue their harassment- that usually does the trick.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,297 posts
814 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting hassle from property owner

I am a little puzzled as how they know who you are.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,039 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting hassle from property owner

Once the member contacts TA via the Help Center (which is the process), if TA Staff want evidence, they will provide the member with the method.

Please use the Help Center as per Post 1.

Regards,

L4

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,876 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting hassle from property owner

If the lodging is small and the reviewer has a hometown listed it is not hard to match them up from registration records- and if an issue was raised during the stay and then mentioned in the review, it is probably very easy for the owner to recall. This would probably never happen in a large chain operated hotel- it is usually a small guesthouse operator who behaves this way.

Some owners really think they can bully reviewers and I am glad TA doesn't tolerate it.