We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Advisor and Kiva partnership question...

Ontario
Level Contributor
7,299 posts
166 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Advisor and Kiva partnership question...

I've just read about this (I'm a Kiva member already so I'm not asking anyone to explain the organization to me)...what I want to understand is that Trip Advisor is going to pay $25 for each review (has to be one of the countries on Kiva)? Or is it the loan admin fee Trip Advisor is paying?

kiva.org/updates/kiva/2012/12/04/lend-to-pla…

Ontario
Level Contributor
7,299 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Advisor and Kiva partnership question...

This was from the TA Help Centre...and now it's not there any more? This stated "And since it’s fully funded by TripAdvisor (i.e. free for you!), there’s no reason not to participate."

TripAdvisor and Kiva partner to make a difference.

Published 12/14/2012 06:28 AM | Updated 12/14/2012 06:38 AM .

TripAdvisor and Kiva partner to make a difference

As global travelers, we know that a foreign country and its people can sometimes leave a lasting impression. Even after returning home, we often wish there was some way to show gratitude for the unique memories and experiences. Thanks to a new partnership TripAdvisor just formed with Kiva, the world’s first microlending nonprofit, you can now give back to your favorite country, and it’s as easy as posting a review.

This new partnership gives travelers the opportunity to lend $25 to small business owners and communities in the places they visit. The program seeks to help alleviate poverty and give TripAdvisor users a chance to be part of something great. $25 may seem small, but to a seamstress in Cambodia, a farmer in Peru, or a fisherman in Indonesia, that amount could translate to a shop of their own or clean water in their homes. And since it’s fully funded by TripAdvisor (i.e. free for you!), there’s no reason not to participate.

Here’s how it works:

1. Log on to www.tripadvisor.com.

2. Find a hotel, vacation rental, restaurant, or attraction that you’ve been to in one of the 66 Kiva-supported countries.

3. Share your experience so that other travelers may benefit from your wisdom.

4. After submitting a review, you will receive an email from TripAdvisor with information about the microloan. This email directs you to Kiva.org, where the $25 microloan gift will be applied.

5. Check out the potential borrowers in that country, and select the one that moves you the most.

That’s it! Thanks for helping us to make the world a better place.

Newton...
Destination Expert
for Newton
Level Contributor
3,522 posts
TripAdvisor Staff  
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Advisor and Kiva partnership question...

Hi WIBS,

Thanks for your question about our new Kiva partnership! I asked our Kiva team about this and they asked me to pass this information on to you:

When a traveler reviews a hotel, holiday rental, restaurant or attraction in a Kiva-supported country (except US) on one of TripAdvisor’s English-language sites (US, UK, Canada, Ireland, and Australia), that reviewer is eligible to make a $25 microloan to a recipient in that country. This microloan is funded by TripAdvisor.

After submitting a review for an eligible country, the reviewer will receive an email from TripAdvisor with information about the microloan. This email directs the reviewer to Kiva.org, where the $25 microloan gift from TripAdvisor can be applied. Microloan gifts will only be offered for the user’s first review of each eligible country.

It looks like we are adding to the Help Center page so it is temporarily down, but it will be back up soon with more complete details.

Thanks for asking!

Jeanine

Ontario
Level Contributor
7,299 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Advisor and Kiva partnership question...

WOW! That's stunning news! Thanks for clarifying "Microloan gifts will only be offered for the user’s first review of each eligible country." Makes sense.

Thanks Jeanine! :-)

Tijuana, Mexico
Level Contributor
3 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Advisor and Kiva partnership question...

So....I posted my review of Tai Ki Shi

(tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS)

after the TripAdvisor/KIVA partneship was announced. It is a review in an eligible country and my first since the partnership was announced. Does it not qualify for the program? I haven't gotten an email from TA directing me toward a Kiva link.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,789 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Advisor and Kiva partnership question...

Jeanne. That's a great program. Thanks for clarifying.

Noah

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,375 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Advisor and Kiva partnership question...

so are these reviews going to be clearly marked as Kiva member reviews ,

Edited: 20 December 2012, 08:44
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
60,891 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Advisor and Kiva partnership question...

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i12105-k5968458…

A nearby thread on Support with a different angle on the Kiva partnership.

Newton...
Destination Expert
for Newton
Level Contributor
3,522 posts
TripAdvisor Staff  
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Advisor and Kiva partnership question...

Hi Michael and all,

It looks like our Kiva Help Center page has updated details on the Kiva partnership:

www.tripadvisor.com/help/tripadvisor_and_kiva

In addition to writing your review on one of TripAdvisor’s English-language sites (US, UK, Canada, Ireland, and Australia), it looks like reviewers also need to reside in the US, UK, Canada, Ireland or Australia in order to be eligible to participate. I'm sorry I didn't have this information to pass on in my earlier post.

Jeanine

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,039 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Advisor and Kiva partnership question...

Thanks for clarifying, Jeanine.

L4

Tijuana, Mexico
Level Contributor
3 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Advisor and Kiva partnership question...

Since both Kiva and TripAdvisor have participants from all over the world, I find this restriction to US residents only to be somewhat short-sighted and almost discriminatory....the benefit should be available to all, IMHO.