We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suspicious reviews

Oxford
Level Contributor
207 posts
103 reviews
Save Topic
Suspicious reviews

Hi,

Can anyone advise on the correct thing to do when the pattern of reviews - rather than one individual review - looks suspicious? Locally an Indian take-away has shot up to number one of the restaurant list ( tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g504077-… ). Up until August 2012 there had been 2 reviews in the previous 12 months then in September there were 18 reviews, October 15 reviews, November 8 reviews and 5 so far in December. Of these 46 reviews (all but one of which were Excellent or Very good) over half were by people who signed up just to review this little take away and another quarter by people with only two reviews to their name.

I don't know anything against the restaurant - it may be very good - but it has come from nowhere to overtake some good, well established places. Is there anyway TPTB can spot this sort of thing or investigate it if reported?

Thanks

MD

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
61,453 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suspicious reviews

Perhaps they are simply making customers aware of TA and asking them to write reviews

Why not go and check it out???

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,789 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suspicious reviews

That's not uncommon and that might not be a problem. TA allows and encourages businesses to advertise for reviews. And when they do that this is what we see - a bunch of new reviews from brand new reviewers.

Oxford
Level Contributor
207 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suspicious reviews

OK, thanks for your thoughts. On thinking about it I suppose there is nothing to stop the place encouraging people to sign up and review as long as they give their honest opinions!

My bad!

As to checking it out, for take-away I prefer Chinese!

MD

4. Re: Suspicious reviews

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 December 2013, 05:17