We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Link to private, non-profit website. Is it prohibited?

Gdynia, Poland
Level Contributor
364 posts
Save Topic
Link to private, non-profit website. Is it prohibited?

Hello,

I've been TA user for many years and find it great source of information. I try to give my contribution to TA too. I'd like to ask TA Staff for interpretation of following case.

I've my own, private, non-commercial and non-profit website about travels of my family. When I place posts on TA travel forum, I put adress of my website at the end of post. Yesterday TA User of Madeira forum considered my post to be inappriopriate because of above mentioned link. In result, my post on this forum was removed.

I'm aware that according to TA Terms of use advertising, for example in forum posts, is not allowed. However, I don't agree that links to websites such as tropikey.com can be treated as advertising. In my opinion, advertising is such activity which target is to help on sale of certain goods or services. Considering that I'm not selling anything on my website (in fact, it only generates costs), link to this site is not advertising.

I'll be grateful for your opinion on this issue.

Best regards, Bartek

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
35,824 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Link to private, non-profit website. Is it prohibited?

Your website is mainly in Polish so won't be of great use to non Polish speakers. And the site carries links to 'profit' sites like Lot....

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Link to private, non-profit website. Is it prohibited?

Whilst the TA small print does allow such links in some cases, many users don't like them* and it can also be difficult to work out whats a "good" link and whats a "bad" one without following it.

Plus there can be a suspicion that people are posting only in order to drive visitors to their website, for what ever reason.

Lastly, TA does disallow "solicitation" and that can happen for non commercial reasons, spam doesn't just have to be trying to sell you something for financial gain, and people who post with the same link on every message can appear to be spammers to many*.

I am not TA staff, obviously, this is just my personal view. I do recall a case where someone kept spamming sorry I mean posting with a sig link to his website,and though TA actually said in that case it was OK, people still kept voting him down.

* I judge this merely by how often posts with a sig link in get voted down.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
72,089 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Link to private, non-profit website. Is it prohibited?

>>>"I'd like to ask TA Staff for interpretation of following case."<<

Hi Bartek;

This forum, like all the forums on TripAdvisor, is primarily peer-to-peer assistance and TripAdvisor staff will not answer your question on the forum, as moderation is considered a private matter. You will need to contact TripAdvisor staff directly for an answer.

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/GeneralSupport

Best Regards

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,924 posts
TripAdvisor Staff  What's this?
Save Reply
4. Re: Link to private, non-profit website. Is it prohibited?

Hi TropiKey,

I have just sent you a Private Message explaining our policy with regards to inclusion of links in your posts. You may reply to me through that feature if you have any further questions. I will close this topic now, as the moderators cannot discuss this matter with you in the public forums.

Kind regards,

TA_Jane

TripAdvisor Support Team