We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why do you remove discussions about the Thorntree forum ?

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
4,892 posts
316 reviews
Save Topic
Why do you remove discussions about the Thorntree forum ?

The discussions concerning the interruption of service of the LP Thorntree forum are removed on Tripadvisor.

Why do you remove/forbid such discussions on Tripadvisor ?

Those discussions are certainly important for travellers and people involved in tourism, as Lonely Planet is the #1 worldwide travel book editors and travel forum.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,086 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Why do you remove discussions about the Thorntree forum ?

Welcome to the TripAdvisor forums! Before I respond to your question, I want to point out that I do not work for TripAdvisor. As with all Destination Experts, I'm a TA member just like you, who volunteers to help fellow members.

Since you are new to the TripAdvisor forums, it would be a good idea to read through the forum guidelines, which are here:

tripadvisor.ca/help/what_are_the_guidelines_…

The second statement on that page is that posts must be "On topic - Forums are for travel-related discussions."

I can't see how discussing a different travel forum is travel-related.It seems more internet-related to me. However, there is a forum for off-topic discussions. You can discuss Thorntree to your heart's content on the TripAdvisor Off-Topic Chatter (OTC) forum, which is here:

tripadvisor.ca/ShowForum-g1-i9659-Off_topic_…

And most TripAdvisor regulars would strongly dispute the characterization of ThornTree as the #1 travel forum. I think that's pretty hard to prove. When I've looked at the TT forums for my destination, they have been far less active than the corresponding TA forums.

Edited: 31 December 2012, 15:10
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
4,892 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Why do you remove discussions about the Thorntree forum ?

I'm a new member on Tripadvisor so I'll judge later on whether it's the #1 forum or not. There is a first-class travel forum in French, www.voyageforum.com.

But it's obvious the Lonely Planet company has a major influence on worldwide travel. The fact that the BBC now seems to determine the LP policy is a real concern. '

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
Level Contributor
4,842 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Why do you remove discussions about the Thorntree forum ?

TA also has Forums in French, German, Italian and Spanish for speakers of those languages.

TA has forums for every destination that TA covers plus the Beyond destination forums such as this one and the OTC - some are very active London receives posts on around 50 different topics per day with multiple posts per topic.

Lonely Planet is of course a major travel company but it is not really appropriate to discuss its reasons for suspending its forum service on another companies travel forums

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,924 posts
TripAdvisor Staff  What's this?
Save Reply
4. Re: Why do you remove discussions about the Thorntree forum ?

... moved from HUMTAB to TA Support forum.

TA_Jane

TripAdvisor Support Team

Edited: 31 December 2012, 17:06
West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
71,067 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Why do you remove discussions about the Thorntree forum ?

Hi Pierre;

What TA forum was the discussion about Thorntree posted on ?

Best Regards

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Why do you remove discussions about the Thorntree forum ?

I vaguely seem to recall some discussion on the UK forum (perhaps because of the BBC connection?).

I wonder if that that thread was voted down as being off topic, so to answer the OP's question, it may not have been TA that voted it down, it may have been TA posters who collectively decided it was off topic.

But anyway, if you want to discuss why ?The BBC?? shut it down, why dont you go to the off topic forum, or some BBC forum, where there is at least some sort of relevance?

Edited: 31 December 2012, 17:50
UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Why do you remove discussions about the Thorntree forum ?

p.s. here it is (or was) and it does look as if TA closed it, presumably because it was off topic tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186216-i15-k597…

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,343 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Why do you remove discussions about the Thorntree forum ?

I really like Thorntree reminds me of TA before it sold it's soul.

I did not realise that it was Owned by the BBC, wonder where they got the money from.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
71,067 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Why do you remove discussions about the Thorntree forum ?

Thanks Joe !

=== === === === ===

Pierre;

The focus of that forum is travel to the UK, and from what you've posted on this forum, would be considered "off topic". That is the most likely reason that the thread was closed.

Best Regards

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
Level Contributor
4,842 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Why do you remove discussions about the Thorntree forum ?

Like it or not the TA forums are fairly heavily policed, mainly by other forum participants through the 'Report inappropriate content' link, so it is unlikely that the TA forums as a whole would ever need to be closed to remove 'instances of inappropriate language and themes'

Sometimes the TA moderation can seem excessive and heavy handed but it is preferable overall to have ongoing controls rather than periodic purges when things appear to be be getting out of control

Edited: 31 December 2012, 20:36