We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Exclusion of markets from city attractions

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Exclusion of markets from city attractions

Noticed that the West Side Market is no longer listed under attractions ("things to do") in Cleveland. Instead, it has been relegated to only "Shopping."

The West Side Market is one of the nation's top public indoor markets and consistently has been ranked by TA reviewers as one of Cleveland's top attractions.

Similarly, the Pike Place Market no longer is listed under attractions in Seattle and also is relegated to just shopping.

Why the change? Is it intentional? If intentional, this is a very poor decision as it greatly increases the likelihood of visitors missing excellent attractions when visiting these two, and perhaps other, cities.

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Exclusion of markets from city attractions

Although I could understand TA reasoning in general, I still would relate to the OP's sentiment.

We have a similar place in Kyiv: Bessarabka indoor market. Few foreigners who are hesitant to go to the real bazaars (say, because of the language barrier) but at the same time want to pretend they are blending in and do like locals do, try to shop there. But no local in their right mind ever shops in Bessarabka.

It is not meant for shopping. It is meant for wandering around and watching. It's a local vanity fair and a pure touristy show-case. "Celebrities" go there to show off. People go there to watch celebrities. Tourists go there to try/see "something different", what they think is "off the beaten track".

And I'm afraid Bessarabka is too hard to find among Kyiv attractions as it's listed under Shopping.

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
3,790 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Exclusion of markets from city attractions

Whilst I agree with you - I go to these type of places to sightsee and peoplewatch as I love the atmosphere, not to shop - I don't think this is a recent change. Markets have come under the Shopping tab for quite some time now - certainly since well before the recent reorganisation of the Things To Do categories.

This categorisation is clearly not stopping people from reviewing Pike Place Market, West Side Market or several other major covered markets like Borough Market (London), Boqueria (Barcelona), San Miguel (Madrid), which are all getting multiple reviews each week.

Therefore, TripAdvisor could disagree with you that they're hard to find - although of course we can't tell how many of the reviewers actually managed to find the listings on TA before they came to write a review.

I can't see TA moving a market out of the Shopping category, but personally I would like to see covered markets tagged as Landmarks/Points of Interest to fall under Attractions too (in fact, I would like to see "Covered Markets" become a separate attraction category from Flea/Street Markets!).

Unfortunately I don't think this will improve things, because since the recent reorganisation of Things To Do, other attractions that have more than one attraction type still only seem to fall under one particular tab on Things To Do.

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Exclusion of markets from city attractions

This is a recent change, at least in Cleveland. Until somewhat recently, the West Side Market was listed under both "attractions" and "shopping." At least weekly, I looked at the Cleveland "things to do" rankings as a Cleveland DE. I never noticed the change until yesterday.

Personally, I'm not a shopper and I don't always look at shopping listings. The West Side Market, Pike Place Market and other similar markets are much more than shopping experiences, thus their high rankings when included in "things to do."

This IMO is a bad change of policy, if it is a change of policy and not an error. Why provide less information and help to those on vacation?

Frankly, I think attractions should include highly ranked shopping destinations. Few shopping destinations would make the top rankings in most cities with any decent number of attractions. There are, however, even some malls that are multi-state regional malls. What's the logic of excluding them from the overall attraction rankings?

Edited: 03 January 2013, 21:44
Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
3,790 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Exclusion of markets from city attractions

Aah - so this is since the most recent organisation a couple of months back - I don't think it's specific to markets though - anyplace with more than 1 attraction type is now only showing under one particular tab when before they would've been listed under each appropriate one.

West Side Market is still classified as "Flea/ Street Markets, Historic Sites" but whereas before this would've caused it to appear under both Attractions and Shopping, as you say - it's now just coming under one tab.

This is a general problem with Things To Do that also affects the sub-categories under Attractions...places are not always where you'd expect them. I'm not sure how TA decides which tab gets the priority in these instances, but personally I'd like them things to fall under both again so they're more visible.

Edited: 03 January 2013, 21:55
Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Exclusion of markets from city attractions

BayBOy, candidly, I wasn't aware of the recent reorganization of "Things to Do" categories or when it occurred. Mostly, I just look at the the "Things to Do" listings in Cleveland, sometimes to spot quickly recent reviews when I don't want to wade through all of the reviews of hotels and restaurants under the "all reviews" functions.

All I can say is that in the U.S., there are some markets and a few shopping locations that are major attractions. The West Side Market is very unique and actually is living history, as it is one of the last surviving "street car" public markets from the days before autos and refrigeration. It's also in a century-old building that was built as a public monument with a six-story clock tower that is a local landmark. It is such a draw that breweries, restaurants, stores, etc. have made the general area, Cleveland's "Market District" and a general draw.

Why can't it be included in the "Things to Do" listings any longer?

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
3,790 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Exclusion of markets from city attractions

I agree with you - I would like to see significant markets under Attractions too. As West Side Market is still classified on TA as 'historic sites', that's where it should be appearing.

The same problem affects Art Galleries. "Art Galleries" and "Art Museums" is an interchangeable term, certainly in British English, and there are lots of art museums categorised as "Art Galleries". But as TripAdvisor considers Art Galleries as purely retail they are falling under Shopping when in fact they are quite often cultural attractions and like markets I think they should be falling under Attractions too. Otherwise each one will have to be reported individually as wrongly categorized, which is a daunting task... :(

By the way, it was about 2 months ago when the latest reorganisation occured, see tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g1-i12105-k58822…

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Exclusion of markets from city attractions

BayBOy, I noticed that change but didn't pay much attention to it because it really didn't affect much in Cleveland.

It's strange that shopping attractions are listed under "things to do" but aren't included in the rankings for "things to do." This seems completely wrong-headed.

8. Re: Exclusion of markets from city attractions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 January 2014, 04:15