We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Daytime in a B&B

Bosham
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Daytime in a B&B

I would like some feedback from other B&B owners and guest experiences if you can spare the time.

We have had our B&B for four years. Most of our guests leave the property at about 10am and come back after 4ish. This is not a rule but general. We do allow our guests to come back during the day and in the summer it is not unusual to come home and find all of our guests around our garden enjoying a glass of wine reading a book.

In our personal experience with other B&B owners they say they have a 'vacate the room' rule.

I have just had a lady in one of our bedrooms complain the heating has gone off.(it was 10:30am) She said she intends to be in the whole day and insisted I turn it on again for the day. I said I would 'boost' the system for an hour or so but that would be it until 3:30pm. She complained that she stays in B&B's all the time and has never known the heating go off during the day and insisted I turn it on.

I am not going to centrally heat an eight bed house for her especially as she is only paying £40 per night. She called me rude for refusing. I offered her money back and stated very simply and calmly that she still has plenty of time to find alternative, warmer accommodation.

I know of course that I am in for a bad review.

I'd love to hear, especially from other B&Bers is it normal to have your heating on all day? I am typing this, by the way, in my Chefs and a T-shirt it is very mild indoors.

Torremolinos, Spain
Level Contributor
13,990 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Daytime in a B&B

Hi there

This is the Support Forum where members can seek advice or assistance on using the site itself.

Not sure where you would post to receive information regarding this, but from my point of view if there is no rule stating that guests need to be vacant from the property during the daytime of their stay then you really have a duty to keep the customer happy and keep the heating on - especially if (which i am presuming it is now) cold!

Another alternative would be to have each radiator (presuming that's your style of heating) on thermostats (or thermostats installed in rooms) so that you can direct heating to only occupied rooms :D

CB

Boothbay Harbor...
Level Contributor
533 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Daytime in a B&B

This post might find a better audience in the Owner's forum here at TripAdvisor, but you would likely get even better discussion in a non-TripAdvisor forum specific to B&B owners. One that I am aware of is http://www.innspiring.com/ -- although it is primarily North American, there are a couple of regular participants from England and Scotland. Certainly there are other such forums as well. Another, geared to UK and other European holiday home rentals, but with a subsection for B&B/CdH, is http://www.laymyhat.com/forum/

3. Re: Daytime in a B&B

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 February 2014, 05:16