We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Business Listing refused - but what am I doing wrong?

Chester, England...
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Business Listing refused - but what am I doing wrong?

Twice applied and rejected for a business listing and all it tells me on the rejection email is to check the submission guidelines. I've checked and checked again and cannot see what I am doing wrong. As far as I can see, I am doing everything correctly. Instead of keep telling me I'm not meeting the guidelines, why can't Trip Advisor simply tell me in the email what I'm doing wrong ? :(

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,789 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Business Listing refused - but what am I doing wrong?

Hi there,

The folks here can probably help you. What is the website to your business and we'll take a look.

Noah

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
43,720 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Business Listing refused - but what am I doing wrong?

I and owner friend have the same problem but the restaurant does not have a web site and is not located on a highway/road, being set back at the bottom of a shopping plaza. Adjacent properties, curently listed and having no website, used for positioning purposes. Still get the same "doesn't comply with guidelines" Email. The owner has given up in disgust! :-)

Chester, England...
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Business Listing refused - but what am I doing wrong?

Thanks Noah - www.edgarhouse.co.uk

Mike.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,039 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Business Listing refused - but what am I doing wrong?

Hi Mike,

Looking at the listing criteria,are you requesting a hotel listing or B&B listing?

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/GetListedNew

Regards,

L4

Chester, England...
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Business Listing refused - but what am I doing wrong?

You raise an interesting point...we are a B&B, but there was not a button to select for B&B, only Hotels/Restaurants/Attractions/Resources. So I selected Hotels.

Mike

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Business Listing refused - but what am I doing wrong?

You apply for a listing as 'accommodation' - not as a B&B or hotel.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,039 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Business Listing refused - but what am I doing wrong?

Hans, I think he's referring to the button on the page which says Hotel. Sorry, I don't understand why you've been turned down and I'll be interested to see what others have to say.

Regards,

L4

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,329 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Business Listing refused - but what am I doing wrong?

Yes, but TA will look at the information on the business's website to determine whether they are a hotel or a B&B / Inn. The criteria that TA use are on the page that L4 linked in #4.

Mike, when looking at your website, I found it difficult to determine exactly what kind of business you are operating. Ironically, it was only by reading your T&Cs that I realized that you are probably NOT running a holiday rental (without any onsite staff) but something more like a B&B or inn (in the North American sense of the word "inn", meaning a small hotel).

I would recommend an update to your website so that your home page or your rooms & rates page addresses the issues on TA's "Get Listed" page ( http://www.tripadvisor.ca/GetListedNew ):

Is there a front desk open and staffed 24/7? If not, do you have staff onsite every day?

Is daily housekeeping included in the room rate?

Is there a private bathroom for each unit?

Is there is a minimum-stay requirement, and if so, how long is it?

This would also be a good place to answer the question of whether or not breakfast is included in the room rate. I see that it isn't, but that info shouldn't be buried in your T&Cs.

Edited: 09 March 2013, 15:35
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,039 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Business Listing refused - but what am I doing wrong?

Good response, CW. When I initially looked at the website, I read about public washrooms. It was only after looking in more detail that I saw that each room has a bathroom.

Regards,

L4

Chester, England...
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Business Listing refused - but what am I doing wrong?

OK thanks for your responses guys. Certainly no information was intentionally buried nor meant to be difficult to ascertain. My initial point still remains unanswered though, that TA could simply tell me what they believe is missing or not obvious. Instead I'm left guessing. Ho hum. Thanks again