We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to find info: 1) Before-you-go 2) How to info

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
505 posts
104 reviews
Save Topic
How to find info: 1) Before-you-go 2) How to info

Hi,

This is really 2 questions...

I apologize if the question has already been asked.

1) Earlier, some time ago; for each Location; there used to be a link to a Before-you-go page, nicely structured with traveller articles.

And now, I cannot seem to find this link in a consistent way any more. I can see that the page seems to be still there for some locations, not all, but to find it, it's just by accident.

Is there a consistent way of finding the Before-you-go page, and to know whether it exists for a certain location or not (to avoid looking for it when it does not exist)?

2)

Also, I have a vague memory of a Help center, with information nicely structured under different subjects. Now all I see under Help center, is an FAQ with a list of random unsorted questions, and some answers to them.

Is there any way to access the previous structured Help center? How to do that?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
55,562 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to find info: 1) Before-you-go 2) How to info

Hi FiftyNiner ~

My take on the Before You Go page is the higher the forum level the less likely there will be one. So Stockholm has one but Sweden doesn't and Vancouver has one but British Columbia doesn't. Just my observation though.

The Help Centre was redesigned about 5-6 months ago. The articles included a contact us link, now they are read only. There is no way to access the old format. There is a way to contact TA though. On the left side, there is a Contact Us link which then opens to two pathways: General Support or User Reviews. From there sub pathways can be accessed and a message sent to TA. If you do a search in the Help Centre, the results will all be topical, not random. If the search recognizes your search words! I think I read somewhere that the random unsorted list is arranged by most frequently asked.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,206 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to find info: 1) Before-you-go 2) How to info

There should be a Before You Go page of Traveller Articles for every destination. The only question is whether anyone will have written any traveller articles for that destination. If they haven't, it may just be an empty placeholder page.

To find the Before You Go page for Reykjavik, Iceland, to choose a random example:

1. Use the search box at the top right corner of every page to go to any page on TA about Reykjavik, such as the main destination page:

tripadvisor.ca/Tourism-g189970-Reykjavik_Cap…

2. On the green menu bar across the top of the page, click More, then select Travel Guides.

3. Under the large headline "Reykjavik Guides", there will be three tabs. Select the Before You Go tab.

4. This new page will list some selected Traveller Articles. But to see all the Reykjavik Traveller Articles, not just a chosen few, keep on going to the end of the page, and click the link that says "See more traveller articles". This will take you to a page which you may recognize from before.

I think TA's theory is that most people will find the traveller articles through web searches and website searches, so it doesn't really matter how difficult they are to find by other means.

Here's an example of a placeholder page for a destination that doesn't have any traveller articles yet:

tripadvisor.ca/Travel-g181806-s1/…Inside.html

Edited: 10 March 2013, 13:57
Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
505 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to find info: 1) Before-you-go 2) How to info

Thanks a lot for answering this!

I see, that if I click around a little, I can actually find the More button, (if I know it is there).

Actually some locations do not have the Before you go, such as Finistere, and Brest, in Britanny.

At least, this way I can see that the page is not there.

Me grumbling further, isn't going to make things any better, I assume;-(

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
Level Contributor
4,859 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to find info: 1) Before-you-go 2) How to info

You can grumble / make suggestions for improvement on the HUMTAB forum tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g1-i12104-Help_u… whether it will make things better is debatable - don't hold your breath while waiting.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,206 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to find info: 1) Before-you-go 2) How to info

Maybe I am seeing things slightly differently, because I'm using TripAdvisor.ca, but there is a placeholder page for Finistere Traveller Articles:

tripadvisor.ca/Travel-g1778318-s1/Finistere:…

and there are a few Traveler Articles for Brest:

tripadvisor.ca/Travel-g187095-s1/…Inside.html

But I didn't see a "Before you go" tab on the Brest Travel Guide page, I just found the link to the Traveller Articles on the bottom of the "Brest Guide" page.

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
505 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to find info: 1) Before-you-go 2) How to info

Mymsman...

I just did that.

Unfortunately I think I might have blurred my message a little by ranting too much, being too unspecific;-(

Edited: 10 March 2013, 17:12
Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
505 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to find info: 1) Before-you-go 2) How to info

Country_wife.

I can see the pages when I click on your links, but I don't see any handles for these links on the Brest and Finistere pages.

But, I know how to search for these pages now anyway.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
55,562 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How to find info: 1) Before-you-go 2) How to info

I am glad to learn the finer points about the Trav Arts. I have generally used the link in the left sidebar. On some forums there is not one.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,206 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How to find info: 1) Before-you-go 2) How to info

I never even look at the left sidebar, had no idea they were linked there! Shows that there's more than one way to skin a cat.

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Banff National Park
Level Contributor
5,877 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How to find info: 1) Before-you-go 2) How to info

In the new format can't find a quick way to get to the Traveller Articles from the Banff or Banff National Park forums. I used to direct people to the Travel Guide link in the left nav bar, but now I can't see anything on the forum page to direct them to. I used to do that link myself to get to a page I wanted, but now I can

only search on the names of pages I happen to know about, and then use the crumb trails from there. It's pretty time-consuming. Am I missing something? I'm hoping you more savvy folks will know.