We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Links in forum posts

Chayofa, Spain
Level Contributor
245 posts
Save Topic
Links in forum posts

I was under the impression that commercial links should not be placed in forum posts, even if the poster is nothing to do with the company involved. Yet time after time this happens, and even if reported, seems to be ignored by TA. A clarification is needed, or just let everyone do it.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,798 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Links in forum posts

Can you be a bit more specific as you can post certain links on TA without a problem

Links to resorts / hotel websites, to weather pages, photo sharing website and other forms of information, etc, etc

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,442 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Links in forum posts

Have you reviewed the forum posting guidelines? I have (multiple times) and know of no such prohibition. Can you cite the guideline that you think is violated when this is done?

I wouldn't say I do it that frequently, but I certainly have left links to *lots* of different websites over the years and I'm sure many of the them have been "commercial" (both directly, e.g. the website for a business, and indirectly, e.g. a for profit website that lists/links to something related to an OPs question).

hlo

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
57,093 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Links in forum posts

I do it all the time and have done so for years. It's definitely allowed.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,318 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Links in forum posts

I think that you must be thinking of a different web forum. I've been active on TA forums since just a few months after they were started, and I don't remember there ever being a rule against posting commercial links.

Of course, self-promotion / advertising, whether through links or in other ways, has never been allowed on the TA forums.

Chayofa, Spain
Level Contributor
245 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Links in forum posts

I've sort of misinterpreted the 'sold to' guidelines. I do get suspicious though, when I see the same member posting commercial links 3 or 4 times a day, but have no way of proving anything. I'm not going to be specific, but my view is that it can tarnish the reputation of TA.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,798 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Links in forum posts

You would be better to contact TA direct about your suspicions rather then just use the report function as this way you will be able to give them additional information

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
Level Contributor
11,859 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Links in forum posts

I frequently link a company that I have had day trips with because they are excellent. I have no connection to the company and get no benefit from recommending them but I do want other people to experience the amazing trips they offer. If someone were to suggest that I was benefitting from this or belonged to the company I would be very unhappy and insulted that my recommendation would be taken that way.

There are quite a few people on the forums who have their own properties that they let out from time to time but they do not put links to their sites, or tout for business. However, if they did, they would soon be reported for advertising. Some members also have blogs that they link to but that's not advertising, it just gives more information about the area they are living in or visit regularly.and they may also include a recommendation to a restaurant or venue but they are only recommendations and not advertising .

Also, there are people on the forums who do run businesses and although not necessarily advertising the fact, it is well known by the regulars on those particular forums and they may well mention that business in a reply to a new poster. If I were very cynical I would think that's a form of advertising a friend's business but I'm sure that's not the case. Its just people sharing knowledge and ideas and I think that's what the majority of links are and I wouldn't bother reporting them.

Chayofa, Spain
Level Contributor
245 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Links in forum posts

There is a section titled 'Can I sell or promote services in the forums?'. The terminology is wrong in my opinion. It doesn't say 'Can I sell or promote MY services in the forums?', so you could interpret it as, you cannot sell or promote anybody's services in the forums. Better I would think that no links whatsoever, and the it would save a lot of aggro.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,798 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Links in forum posts

"Better I would think that no links whatsoever, and the it would save a lot of aggro"

Totally disagree as a great many are posted in good faith and are in the spirit of providing information for the member

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
Level Contributor
11,859 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Links in forum posts

I'd hate it if the links were banned, its useful to get recommendations from other travellers and a link means I can see immediately what they are talking about. Its the same with members' blogs. I've found some really good information out from reading them and when I visited Tenerife for the first time last year there were a couple of excellent recommendations and blogs that helped me plan my break and helped me have a wonderful time..