We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

can web addresses be used in Avatars?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,191 posts
Save Topic
can web addresses be used in Avatars?

I know many folk can use their company names as a screen name(which I don't like ) but can they have avatars that clearly shows their company name and or clearly shows their company email addy..I am seeing quite a bit of this on a few forums and I really do not like it.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: can web addresses be used in Avatars?

Its a grey area, I personally don't like it since putting a URL at the bottom of each post as a sig is either not allowed or frowned upon by most, and having a URL in an Avatar is pretty much the same thing.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,191 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: can web addresses be used in Avatars?

actually one of the examples I am refering to has their web address as their screen name only the WWW. bit is missing and their avatras the company logo which is a web based travel info company for a major tourist city.

Llandudno, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Llandudno
Level Contributor
11,948 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: can web addresses be used in Avatars?

Glad you asked this Gus as I was going to as well ! Blatant advertising as far as I can see ..

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,191 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: can web addresses be used in Avatars?

Yes Torii it has concerned me quite a bit.

For info of others, Torii and I are regular posters on one of the Forums I see this problem on.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,955 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: can web addresses be used in Avatars?

It's not allowed. If you report it to TA, they change the username from coolbusinessdotcom or coolbusinessathotmaildotcom to just coolbusiness.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,191 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: can web addresses be used in Avatars?

but what about the avatars that clearly has the web address in the avatar.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,039 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: can web addresses be used in Avatars?

As CW is suggesting, I'd contact TA Staff about it as for the forums, "You cannot include:

Links to strictly commercial websites or a blog affiliated with or promoting any one property or business."

To me, this would include a web address as part of a profile as well. Taken from:

Can I sell or promote services in the forums?

…custhelp.com/app/…profile

Regards,

L4

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,955 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: can web addresses be used in Avatars?

Unclegus, I've seen that too. If it's the business name, that's okay with TA (as I understand it), but a web address or email in the avatar image is not allowed.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,191 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: can web addresses be used in Avatars?

I have sent a mesage to TA and await their ruling.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,191 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: can web addresses be used in Avatars?

I have now seen the offending avatar has been blanked and the screen name had the .com removed, thanks TA mods.and thanks to the support froum for help,suggestions and support.

Edited: 12 March 2013, 13:31