We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fluctuating Review Count

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
337 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Fluctuating Review Count

Hi all,

Excuse my naively but I have noticed that some of my reviews appear to disappear from time to time as well as some helpful votes.

For example recently I wrote 4 new reviews from my recent trip and my review count increased to 54 in 34 cities.

Today it is now showing as 52 in 33 cities but all if the recent reviews are still on my contributions page?? - cant work out which ones are gone?

TA advised they were all good and all published and I have not received any correspondence from TA saying they were removed?

This has happened to my reviews a couple of times now?

I welcome feedback re this as my tiny brain can't work it out and I haven't been able to navigate to the relevant page/FAQ on the site to solve my query

Thanks

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,039 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fluctuating Review Count

Hi RelaxWithMax,

Well, as you don't keep a list of your reviews to check (I bet a lot of people don't), you wouldn't be able to look them up. However, a listing can have its reviews removed if it's had a major renovation (and supplies TA listing staff with evidence of same) or the listing may have been removed as the business closed.

If these reviews also had helpful votes, then they would go with the reviews. As this isn't happening with recently submitted reviews, this would be the likely reason.

Regards,

L4

Edited: 15 March 2013, 03:47
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
337 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fluctuating Review Count

Hi Luckyfour,

Thanks for that info I did not know that. Are there any other circumstances whereby this may happen?

On one of the FAQ responses on page 10 of review FAQ's it suggested your reviews can disappear from your contribution list if someone edits them?? Also listed FAQ for what to do if you are in an " Edit war"

seems strange that I just posted 4 new reviews and all of a sudden my review count dropped by 2 from 54 to 52 and my helpful votes dropped from 88 to 82 ?

If would be a big coincidence if 2 properties were upgraded and had reviews cancelled at once unless TA do bulk downloads or corrections instead of one at a time?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,039 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fluctuating Review Count

Hi,

What can be edited are Traveler's articles, not reviews. Reviews can also be removed if they're found not to comply with the guidelines. Also, sometimes people review multi-tour companies when you're only allowed to review day tours so those reviews can be removed.

With new reviews (ones submitted in the past couple of weeks), sometimes people are sent an email from TA to verify that they were the author. If the person doesn't reply (e.g. the email ended up in the person's spam box), the review would be taken down. Are any of the missing reviews new ones?

Regards,

L4

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,974 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Fluctuating Review Count

I have 6 reviews from 3 cities,but all my reviews are from Edinburgh????????

Edited: 15 March 2013, 10:54
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
337 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fluctuating Review Count

Hi Luckyfour,

No, all of my new ones are still there. TA hasn't sent any emails to me advising of withdrawl and as far as I can tell I'm within guidlines??

Recently received an email from TA saying I'm in the top 1% of number of times my reviews are read by TA people from TA so not sure what's going on. As you said I don't record my reviews assuming TA does this and they won't disappear ?

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
73,521 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fluctuating Review Count

Hi RwM;

Here are the three main reasons why a review is deleted;

1. The business is under new ownership and the new owners have asked TripAdvisor to remove the previous reviews relating to the old management. For more information about TripAdvisor's policy, visit this Help Centre page;

tripadvisor.com/help/i_just_bought_a_bb_and_…

2. TA sent you an email to confirm / re-confirm your review. You have to click on a link in the email. If you don't click the link in the email, or don’t reply within a certain timeframe, the review will be deleted.

Ensure that your current email address is correct on your TA profile and that no mail from TA has been caught up in a spam folder in your email system.

3. Your review violated TripAdvisor’s guidelines.

tripadvisor.com/help/our_guidelines_for_trav…

The most likely cause would be #1 or #2.

This forum, like all the forums on TripAdvisor, is peer-to-peer assistance. TripAdvisor staff won't post on the forum the actual reason why your review was removed, as they consider it a private matter. You will need to contact TA directly by email.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/UserReviewSupport

Click on "status of my review", then select "Not listed".

Best Regards

Newton...
Destination Expert
for Newton
Level Contributor
3,348 posts
TripAdvisor Staff  
Save Reply
7. Re: Fluctuating Review Count

Hi RelaxWithMax,

I took a look at this for you and it looks your review count went down by two because the Maze Restaurant closed, and the restaurant on the Queen Mary didn't meet our criteria so it was removed from our site.

Cheers,

Jeanine

Edit: unclegus, I do see that your passport badge shows that you have reviews in 3 cities, although all of your reviews were of places in Edinburgh. I'll ask our engineers to look into this, thanks for reporting this!

Edited: 15 March 2013, 15:20
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,039 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fluctuating Review Count

Thanks so much, Jeanine. :-)

L4

nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
5,845 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fluctuating Review Count

Hi guys

I had a review count of 111 a couple of days ago which dropped to 109 yesterday. Just looked and it's reduced to 106 which seems very odd. It doesn't seem to be recent reviews as far as I can see.

Have taken the liberty of sending a PM to TA Jeanine in case she doesn't see this post.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,039 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fluctuating Review Count

Hi nzlilibet,

Actually, we've been asked to use the Help Center and not send PM's to the staff. So, if Jeanine doesn't respond, I'd suggest contacting the Support Staff via the HC. If you're not sure how to do this, please post back.

Regards,

L4