We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Want to correct the name of an already posted restaurant

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
192 posts
1,233 reviews
Save Topic
Want to correct the name of an already posted restaurant

I find that sometimes the first time that someone posts a restaurant it in not written properly and the problem is that it gets "duplicated" because someone else posts it with the real name as they where two different places.

It also drives to a second problem: if you want to make a review, when you search it, it brings the "not found" message but it is listed with a different name.

I would like to change PF Changs, Av Libertador 13701, Martínez, Argentina

to

P.F. CHANG'S, Av Libertador 13701, Martínez, Buenos Aires, Argentina

Thank for your advice!

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,218 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Want to correct the name of an already posted restaurant

You're right to be concerned, I've seen this kind of situation lead to duplicate listings in the past.

TA has recently changed the website so that you can submit a change of name directly from the listing. So if you go to their listing ( tripadvisor.ca/Restaurant_Review-g1119990-d4… ), you will see a line below the name and address of the restaurant that has links to the website and to "Update Restaurant Details". Click on that and edit the name to correct it.

I should point out that for a search, the capitalization doesn't matter - a search on "chang" will find both "Chang" and "CHANG". However, apostrophes do cause problems, which means that it is possible that even with your change, you may later discover a duplicate listing for "Changs" instead of "Chang's".

There is a restaurant chain in my city which has an apostrophe-S at the end of their name. Four of their stores are listed on TA with apostrophes, and the other four are listed without apostrophes. I've asked TA to change them all to the correct spelling, so that a search will either find all of the restaurants, or none of them - which will tell the person doing the search that they may need to recheck their spelling. (A search on the incorrect, no-apostrophe spelling, currently brings up all the restaurants. *sigh*)

Edited: 08 April 2013, 17:15
Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
192 posts
1,233 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Want to correct the name of an already posted restaurant

Thank you Country_Wife!

I have done what you told me immediately. Lets hope TA will improve this kind of issues.

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
3,910 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Want to correct the name of an already posted restaurant

Sadly I've tried the Update Restaurant Details form about 5-10 times to correct restaurant names where there is slight spelling error or to add a branch name if more than one branch in a location - but none of these requests have been actioned. All the other updates I've submitted on the same forms at the same time get dealt with (street address, website etc).

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,218 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Want to correct the name of an already posted restaurant

Thanks for letting me know, Bayb0y! I just realized that was an option a few days ago, so I haven't yet tried it out myself. Soniawasabi, another option which you can try is to submit the changes through the General Support form:

www.tripadvisor.com/generalsupport > select Listings > select A Listing has wrong information...

Edited: 08 April 2013, 20:27
Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
Level Contributor
4,951 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Want to correct the name of an already posted restaurant

Perhaps TA_Kitts and/or TA_Jeanine could take a look at BayB0y's submissions and check whether there is a reason why his name change requests have not been actioned (yet).

We don't want to be back in the position we were in last year where we could use the form to change city names but the updates were ignored by the system.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
192 posts
1,233 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Want to correct the name of an already posted restaurant

Thank you again.!...

I followed your new instructions and now we should wait...Maybe it takes a couple of days.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
192 posts
1,233 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Want to correct the name of an already posted restaurant

I am sorry to tell you that TA didn't change the name.

Is there another way to contact them?

Iowa
Level Contributor
1,448 posts
465 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Want to correct the name of an already posted restaurant

Sometimes it takes weeks for the change to be made. I'd give it a good month or so, and then if it still hasn't been changed report it again.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,218 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Want to correct the name of an already posted restaurant

I agree, it often takes 4-6 weeks for those changes to be made. Sometimes it will take less time, sometimes you will need to resubmit the change after 4-6 weeks have passed and nothing has happened.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
192 posts
1,233 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Want to correct the name of an already posted restaurant

I did resubmit the change today again.

Now I should wait longer as Country Wife and kren250 suggest.

Thank you both!