We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The owner raised the price and refuse to refund the deposit

St Albans, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
The owner raised the price and refuse to refund the deposit

Hi,

I booked for a vacation house in February for my holiday in August. In June, the owner raised the price. After the disagreement, the booking was cancelled. And now the owner refused to refund the full deposit.

According to the tripadvisor guideline, I can not write the review because I didn't stay in that house. Is it possible to ask tripadvisor to publish my review? It would be very useful for traveller to avoid these places.

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
42,033 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The owner raised the price and refuse to refund the deposit

No, TripAdvisor will not publish your review. In the case of vacation rental, the rules are clear"

"Unfortunately, we are unable to accept reviews of vacation rental experiences that occurred during the reservation process or before arrival at the property."

…custhelp.com/app/…3D

I agree with you, however, that the reservation process is quite important in renting a vacation property.

Silvia

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,656 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The owner raised the price and refuse to refund the deposit

Take up the unrefunded deposit with your credit card company. See about filing a dispute for services not rendered. Keep all your correspondence with the vacation house.

St Albans, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The owner raised the price and refuse to refund the deposit

I paid deposit by bank transfer. I am starting the proceeding for the small claim court. Still, it is good to have the review so that other people can avoid.

Also, I got an experience. I should have looked at the reviews more carefully. On their advert, there are multiple reviews from the same reviewer.

Edited: 10 July 2013, 17:56
Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
42,033 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The owner raised the price and refuse to refund the deposit

'm not surprised. Most vacation rentals do not accept credit cards, although that may be changing. Tripadvisor has now a guarantee program for owners who use TA's payment system with credit card. It only works for Flipkey listings at the moment.

You can warn other members if you want to by posting a message on the destination forum, just make sure that you abide by all forum posting guidelines:

tripadvisor.com/help/what_are_the_guidelines…

I sincerely hope you can recover your deposit money. All the best,

Silvia

5. Re: The owner raised the price and refuse to refund the deposit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 July 2014, 05:18