We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why is a cafe I visitednot accepted for TripAdvisor reviews?

Gloucestershire
Level Contributor
8 posts
282 reviews
Save Topic
Why is a cafe I visitednot accepted for TripAdvisor reviews?

I recently visited a cafe in the UK which serves lunches and snacks and it was not on TripAdvisor. So, as in the past with other establishments I have found weren't listed, I submitted a listing request. I have received a reply saying that the cafe "does not meet our submission guidelines" and refers me to the guidelines on the TA web site.

Why on earth should this cafe not meet the submission guidelines? I have read them in total and can see no sensible reason. The TA e-mail doesn't say how I can query their decision.

Help!

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
40,315 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Why is a cafe I visitednot accepted for TripAdvisor reviews?

Does the café have web site that gives information about it? Perhaps if you post that link some of us could look at it and see if we see any reason we think it does not qualify. I cannot think of any other way we could assist you ( we are all fellow users here ,not TA employees.) There are indeed some eating places that don't qualify for a listing for various technical reasons- being in a food court or not open for all members of the public ( like a café in a school for instance) are some reasons that come to mind, but I know there are a few others that I have seen given as reasons over the years.

Did you give TA a web link for it when you requested to review it? Often TA uses that information if they have a question about what place really is- if it does not have website, TA may be unsure of it.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
39,085 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Why is a cafe I visitednot accepted for TripAdvisor reviews?

OK, I don't quite follow post 1, but perhaps if you let us have the caf's name and address..,,? we could offer a better advice?

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,360 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Why is a cafe I visitednot accepted for TripAdvisor reviews?

Neil C, plese post the website of the cafe as it might help to have some of us take a look at it. Nearly all restaurants are eligible to be listed on TripAdvisor, with a few exceptions as described in post #1.

Also, once in a rare while, TA staff does make an error. If the cafe does not have its own website, it makes it a little harder to get posted as the staff has to determine where it is and other information about it, but websites are not required.

Gloucestershire
Level Contributor
8 posts
282 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Why is a cafe I visitednot accepted for TripAdvisor reviews?

The cafe's web site is http://venuexpresso.com and the full address is shown under "More about us". It is an open cafe on a street in the small town of Alcester, UK and is open 7 days a week.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,360 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Why is a cafe I visitednot accepted for TripAdvisor reviews?

Ah. Well, based on their own website, I cannot see anything that tells me it's a "cafe". In fact, in their title, the word "Cafe" is half covered.

I can find nothing that tells me they serve any kind of food or drink.

Gloucestershire
Level Contributor
8 posts
282 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Why is a cafe I visitednot accepted for TripAdvisor reviews?

Whilst I agree their web site is not that good, their home page does say "It’s more than just an inviting place to drop in and linger over a seriously good cup of coffee or have some lunch"; the word "cafe" is almost fully legible at the top; and the establishment has a published local authority food hygiene rating.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
62,310 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Why is a cafe I visitednot accepted for TripAdvisor reviews?

What TA would see when they open that link to the website is **Art Gallery**. There is no internal link in the website to the cafe: menu or food pricing, nothing really to indicate that there is food of any kind. I see one lovely bottle of wine and a sandwich of some kind, but that looks an awful lot like a piece of art. I don't think a one liner about coffee and lunch would suffice.

My guess is that that is the problem. If the owners could create a page on the site for the cafe and show a menu, I think it would be on the way to being accepted.

Do you dare include the following in the submission process? Definitely cake and tea, cats and dancing :-)))

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FD9jK3XJqlo

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Why is a cafe I visitednot accepted for TripAdvisor reviews?

I agree, some overworked TA staffer glances at that terrible website and thinks "art gallery".

Even being generous, it looks like an art gallery that happens to serve some coffee for its patrons. The whole website is about the art. Food / drink is barely mentioned.

Note, I"m not disagreeing that its a cafe, I'm just saying what it looks like, eg an art gallery.

Gloucestershire
Level Contributor
8 posts
282 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Why is a cafe I visitednot accepted for TripAdvisor reviews?

I accept your points, but of course as a top Contributor to TA, it seems surprising that even an "over-worked TA staffer" would not accept that I had visited it and it was indeed a public cafe - surely TA are not trying to act as website quality police! I have alerted the owner to this issue. Perhaps it would have been better if I had not supplied the web site address but merely the street address and phone number? And why is there not a mechanism to reply to TA about their incorrect decision?

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Why is a cafe I visitednot accepted for TripAdvisor reviews?

As I said in my earlier post to you, I suspect there is some sensitivity at the moment since they had a fake restaurant with dozens of fake reviews added here.

And TA have always shown some bizarre tendencies regards what they will accept and what they wont. They arent website police, but they are the police, like it or lump it, of what goes onto TA.

As to why no mechanism to complain, I guess (and I do mean guess, I dont know) that they dont want to get into long interminable conversations or have to justify their soemtimes idiosyncratic decisions. :-)

There was a restaurant owner here a few weeks back complaining on the same issue, many here pointed out that his abysmal website was likely the issue, but he wouldn't accept that and left in a huff :-) (If you think this cafe's website is bad, you should have seen his !)