We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Out of Business Option

Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Out of Business Option

You have no way for your users to let you know a business is no longer open. As a result even a small town's entries can become cluttered with information about businesses that no longer exist.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
27,247 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Out of Business Option

This is the definitive advice from the Help Center on how to notify TA: …custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/596

It might work.

And I agree that proper links on all listings would make it easier.

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,170 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Out of Business Option

Unfortunately, none of that seem to work any more. I've done everything they suggest that we do and nothing is done about it. I've updated properties, reported incorrectly placed reviews, recommended merging multiple listings for the same property and nothing is done. Lately TA seems totally apathetic about reports or doing anything about them, despite their "definitive advice from the Help Centre." It's a shame.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,946 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Out of Business Option

We have quite different experiences, then, travelerNewYork. I've updated properties and seen the change go through in just a few days. I've reported incorrectly placed reviews, and seen them moved to the correct listing in a couple of days. I've recommended merging multiple listings for the same property and it was done in less than a week (the last time, it was just two days). However, this is a huge improvement over TA's performance a couple of years ago, which was pretty slow & awful. Also, my success rate isn't 100%, it's closer to 90% I'd guess. I suppose it helps that I have a very good idea of what TA needs for a successful report of a wrong location or a duplicate listing, etc.

As for reporting closed listings, it is still a royal pain to get TripAdvisor to follow up. I reported 6-8 listings as closed in late May / early June, by clicking on the listings. NOTHING has happened. I reported a polar bear tour which was located in my city multiple times, it's still here. (Not even the zoo has polar bears.)

I've just re-reported most of the listings that I reported closed earlier, by clicking the "update details" link in May & June. This time, I used the General Support form. I'm interested to see what happens now.

Edited: 14 August 2013, 17:46
new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,170 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Out of Business Option

That’s great, Country_Wife. I'm glad to hear it's working well for you. My experience used to be just like yours but not lately. I don’t understand what else I would need to know for a successful report of a wrong location than to simply enter the name of the right location in the drop down menu. Also, I’ve reported in detail, including URLs for each duplicate listings, so if there is anything else I should know in order to make it a successful report, I would really appreciate knowing. Thanks :)

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,946 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Out of Business Option

I just checked my records, and the last straightforward correction that I submitted via the "Update details" link took a week. That was at the beginning of the August; not as quick as it had been a month or two earlier.

Corrections that need to be submitted through the General Support link (incorrect business name, incorrect city / state) usually take longer than correction submitted via "update details".

To report a review of a business that is posted on the wrong listing, it's a huge help if the review actually gives the name of the restaurant / hotel / attraction that they're trying to review. For example, if the review text starts by saying "My family just loved Fun Felafels" but it is on the listing of "Fresh Felafels", then you won't have any problem getting it moved to Fun Felafels. If the review text is clearly about a scenic lake cruise, but it is on the listing for the lake itself, you should have no problem getting the review moved from Mewata Lake to Mewata Lake Scenic Cruises.

The stumbling blocks come in when you're dealing with something more subtle, that requires an actual knowledge of the places in question. For example, if a review of a museum talks about all of the amazing stuffed animals in the museum, and you happen to know that the reviewer is actually talking about a different museum in the same town, you need to be a little more careful. Unless the correct museum is actually called "Ted's Taxidermy Museum", TA staff won't know just by the name and attraction type that the reviewer has made a mistake. In a case like that, I wouldn't just supply the name of the correct museum. Instead, when I went through the "wrong location" dialogue, I would say "no" to the question "Do you know where this review belongs?" When you say "no", it opens up a comment box: "Please explain why you think this review doesn’t belong on this listing." I post the link to the correct TA listing and then point out that the correct museum is well known for its taxidermy collection. I'd include a link to the museum's own website to back that up.

However, TA may not think that's enough for staff to transfer the review directly. In that case, they will send an email to the reviewer and ask them if their review is of Museum A (where the review is currently shown) or of Museum B (your correction). The reviewer has a week or two to respond to the email, and if they are positive that they really did go to Museum A, then Museum A is stuck with an incorrect review. if they never respond to the email, then review just gets removed, as if they had not responded to a verification request.

Edited: 14 August 2013, 19:05
new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,170 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Out of Business Option

Thanks, CW. That’s part of the problem. Reviewers don’t often name the restaurant but being very familiar with many of the places reviewed at “my” destination, I know for example where they don’t serve pizza, or which places are not on the water. But it’s impossible to convey via the drop down menu options, so I just say “yes” I know the correct location and type in the right restaurant name. It used to be better when you could actually explain why the review is in the wrong location but that’s now only an option if you say “no” to knowing the correct location. Maybe I’ll try that next time, lol.

As for merging two places that are the same, I did explain in detail and gave URLs pointing to the listings. It’s so obvious that they’re the same restaurant except one listing puts a “The” in front of the name. In the past this was corrected quickly. Now it’s quite a while. I really don’t know why I care, lol. But thanks again!

Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Out of Business Option

Thank you all for replying. I am curious; are those of you who are successful with attempts to change listings using a computer or IPad (or similar device)?

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,946 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Out of Business Option

I use my computer for reporting these corrections & updates, not my iPad.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,012 posts
1,068 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Out of Business Option

I sent a note to TA a few days ago to merge two restaurants near me: "The Little Brown Hen" is the same as "The Brown Hen". I use the Help Center -> listings -> duplicate listings. Plus I included the restaurant's facebook page showing the correct name.

I had reason to glance at the town's restaurant list the *very next day* and it was fixed! Zowie! I think that is a world record!

I do think that listings in the USA and Canada get faster responses. Perhaps the "home team" has more staff or there are a limited number of 2nd language TA folks to work with other countries? I don't know, but on the overall, I've had excellent response times within the past few months to correct a variety of errors.

Barbara G, I also use a desk top computer, not iPad.

Edited: 15 August 2013, 00:01
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Out of Business Option

Thank you.