We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has FlipKey payment center been hacked?

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Has FlipKey payment center been hacked?

I have a renter who tried to make a payment for our condo on FlipKey. He tried several times and each time got the message that the payment didn't process. it doesn't show his payment being made on my site. However, each time he made an attempt the money was taken from his credit card. He is now been charged several thousand dollars when he was trying to make a $380 payment. He has had to cancel his credit card to keep from being charged again.

Both of us have emailed FlipKey about this issue and have gotten no response.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
74,308 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Has FlipKey payment center been hacked?

Hi Pattyrhee;

While FlipKey & TripAdvisor are both owned by the same parent company, they are operated as two separate companies.

I would suggest calling FlipKey directly with your concerns.

Best Regards

Edited: 28 August 2013, 05:19
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,715 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Has FlipKey payment center been hacked?

Several thousand dollars? Did he really try to process that payment 7-8? times before deciding something was not right?

Newton...
Destination Expert
for Newton
Level Contributor
3,447 posts
TripAdvisor Staff  
Save Reply
3. Re: Has FlipKey payment center been hacked?

Hi Pattyrhee,

I have let FK know about this and they will be reaching out to you directly.

Kind Regards,

Jeanine

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Has FlipKey payment center been hacked?

I think he tried 3 times but they took duplicate payments out of his credit card each time.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
22,758 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Has FlipKey payment center been hacked?

That may be related to TA's maintenance downtime last night.

I have had a similar problem on an unrelated site with payment glitches. It turned out that what looked to me like charges on my credit card (when viewing account online) for each failed request really weren't true charges. I forget the terminology my CC customer support used. It was an abandoned, unsuccessful beginning of a charge.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Has FlipKey payment center been hacked?

If it was just last night that might be the problem. However it has been going on for several days. The flipkey site tried to take money from his credit card 5 additional times after he cancelled the card 2 days ago.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
106 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Has FlipKey payment center been hacked?

Hello,

I know this message was from August, but this just happened to me last night too. I tried to pay for a vacation rental and each time I submitted my info, it would come back and highlight a box that said I didn't put the information in correctly. The box highlighted was blank, so I assumed I had written something incorrectly, and therefore inputted my info again and clicked submit. My credit card has now been charged 3 times, yet the property owner does not see any record of me trying to pay. This is absolutely ridiculous. I will be contacting FlipKey as well as the Better Business Bureau and Attorney General's office in my state. This is certainly a scam, and there are many posts on TripAdvisor indicating that the same things have happened in the past!

8. Re: Has FlipKey payment center been hacked?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 January 2015, 05:17