We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"Misplaced" post removed instead of waiting for my response?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
17 posts
257 reviews
Save Topic
"Misplaced" post removed instead of waiting for my response?

I'd posted a review of the Palmer House Hilton in Chicago - a detailed description touching on both good and bad aspects with an overall 3 (average) rating. Today I received an e-mail from Tripadvisor saying "It has come to our attention that your review of The Palmer House Hilton may be attached to the wrong listing. We would like to verify this information with you. Please click on the link below to either confirm or correct the location of your review:"

When I clicked on the link, it took me to a drop down menu which did not have a choice of confirm! Furthermore, it did not have my review listed. I received that e-mail TODAY. Tripadvisor did not wait for me to respond, they removed my review which was absolutely attached to the correct hotel.

If Tripadvisor had found the review inappropriate, they would have informed me that the post was being removed. But that's not what the e-mail said. It said they thought the review might be misplaced. Neither the review nor the photos were in any way inappropriate, nor did Tripadvisor claim that it was. I think a 'bot' was responding to a management claim of wrong attachment. It's probably a handy way of getting a bad review removed.

I am a top reviewer and cannot understand why I'd get a letter asking for a response, only to find, less than 24 hours later, that the review was already removed. Especially when the review was in the right place. Comment?

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
43,361 posts
261 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: "Misplaced" post removed instead of waiting for my response?

Did you check your Contributions to see if your review went back to "pending"? That is what usually happens when a member reports a review to be attached to the wrong listing; the review is put back on pending while awaiting the reviewer's confirmation.

You need to get in touch with TripAdvisor staff using this form:

www.tripadvisor.com/UserReviewSupport

Select Status of my Review, then Not Listed.

Silvia

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
17 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: "Misplaced" post removed instead of waiting for my response?

Thank you, but no, it did not go back to pending. That's the first place I checked. It's REMOVED.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
74,274 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: "Misplaced" post removed instead of waiting for my response?

Hi nydolly;

Usually, those emails state that you have 7 days to reply. You have viewed the email today, but when was it sent from TA ?

Best Regards

4. Re: "Misplaced" post removed instead of waiting for my response?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it made false or speculative claims about TripAdvisor and its staff, or it quoted or summarised private correspondence from TripAdvisor staff.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2013, 20:00
Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
43,361 posts
261 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: "Misplaced" post removed instead of waiting for my response?

That is so very strange! TripAdvisor does not do any fact checking on reviews of accommodations. They don't ever ask for more information since a stay is not required for a review, just a customer experience. They would only ask you for a receipt if it were a vacation rental, which this one isn't.

May I ask the email address from the last email you received? TripAdvisor emails are usually From No Reply addresses. If you attached your receipt to a reply to this email, it's quite likely to bounce back,

Silvia

Edited: 01 September 2013, 03:10
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,012 posts
1,068 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: "Misplaced" post removed instead of waiting for my response?

Something isn't making sense here . . . as Silvia says, you *do not* have to prove you stayed at a hotel (motel,cabin,RVpark, etc) in order to submit a review. A stay is not required!

>> if they want an honest opinion, they should not aid and abet hoteliers who aren't happy with them.<<

Well, the truth is they do not "aid and abet" hoteliers. If that were true, there would be zero poor reviews here on TA.

TripAdvisor does not give a fig whether a review is good, bad or indifferent. All reviews, however, must conform to the review guidelines.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
17 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: "Misplaced" post removed instead of waiting for my response?

I agree - it's not making sense. Here is the text of the first e-mail I received:

"Dear TripAdvisor Member,

It has come to our attention that your review of The Palmer House Hilton may be

attached to the wrong listing. We would like to verify this information with

you. Please click on the link below to either confirm or correct the location of

your review:

www.tripadvisor.com/UserReviewSupport…

Please note, if the location isn’t confirmed or corrected within 14 days, your

review will not reappear on TripAdvisor."

Please note that I did click on that link and there was nowhere to confirm that I had correctly placed the review. Then here's the e-mail I received about 5 MINUTES later:

"Dear TripAdvisor Member,

Your review has been removed as it has come to our attention that it may be attached to the wrong listing as there are multiple hotels with similar names in the area. We would like to confirm which listing you intended to review, so that we do not potentially mislead travelers.

Please forward this email containing your original review details to userreviewsupport@tripadvisor.com and provide any of the following information you have available:

* Full property/company name

* Address (with street number)

* Phone number

* Website

Please feel free to include any additional details you have that would help us re-publish your review to the correct location. Thank you for your assistance. "

So, within the space of five minutes, TripAdvisor asked if I was sure that my review was for the Palmer House Hilton, and then - without waiting for me to respond - decided to remove it because they concluded that it was wrongly placed anyway. Why the change?

Again, there is no discussion in any of these letters about not conforming to guidelines - the only point made both times was whether I'd correctly identified the establishment I was reviewing. Which I certainly had. Something here is rotten and it isn't Denmark.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
17 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: "Misplaced" post removed instead of waiting for my response?

And yes, Expat, I might have thought it was spam too except that my review is missing. The e-mail address requesting details is members@e.tripadvisor.com. My credit card information was not released.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: "Misplaced" post removed instead of waiting for my response?

members@e.tripadvisor.com is a legit TA e-mail address.

USA
Level Contributor
7,036 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: "Misplaced" post removed instead of waiting for my response?

You might tell TripAdvisor of your suspicions. If responding to your emails does not work, try http://www.tripadvisor.com/GeneralSupport Select an option that lets you comment. If this thread disappears try posting again without mentioning the property by name.

TripAdvisor has not shown this much interest in the improperly attributed Maid-Rite restaurant reviews. You hotel is currently ranked 75th. I see that management responds to reviews. Do they manipulate them, too?