We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence - What does it mean ?

Bangalore
Level Contributor
105 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence - What does it mean ?

What does the TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence imply for a traveller ?

Does it mean that any establishment with a rating of 4.5 and above automatically gets this certification or is there some kind of check which is done by TA members/ team ?

I am asking this question as I see many smaller businesses carrying this certification with a handful of reviews. Some of these reviews are also put up by new members who do not have much on this website.

Can I as a customer expect any establishment which carries this certification to be amongst the best in the category and price point ?

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
71,690 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence - What does it mean ?

Hi Radhika;

I would suggest reading the information on the Help Centre page titled "What is the Certificate of Excellence?" which is here on TA;

tripadvisor.com/help/certificate_of_excellen…

FYI...there is a link to the Help Centre at the bottom of every page.

Best Regards

cornwall england
Level Contributor
6 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence - What does it mean ?

I agree with Radika K the reply given does not fully answer the question asked, I have read the help centre page and still have doubts as I have recently been at two establishments that displayed the excellence certificate and could not really understand how they had achieved them.

Basically are you saying that if you get four good reports out of four for example then you qualify, but if you only get four out of ten you dont.

This programme doesnt seem to need any minimum number of reports and seem to be from members with very little track record.

Always interested alvin006

Bristol
Level Contributor
146 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence - What does it mean ?

I tend to agree. I run a B&B which opened 2 years ago but only has one luxury room which limits the quantity of feedback. However, our feedback is 5 out of 5 and we have so far we have about 40 reviews.

I would like to think that we deserve a certificate of excellence, but have no idea how to get one.

I have written to Tripadvisor, but so far no reply.

I believe our offering is far superior and better value than places I have stayed at with the certificate - and our reviews are better, So how can guests have any confidence in it???

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
24,690 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence - What does it mean ?

Hope it keeps fine for you.

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
40,789 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence - What does it mean ?

As the Help Center explains, the certificate of excellence is given to businesses that have maintained at least a four-dot overall rating during the *** PAST *** year and have a minimum number of reviews. What this minimum number is is not disclosed but to me, it has to vary by market. Restaurants say in New York City will always have more reviews than restaurants in a small town.

@been-and-got-t-shirt, whether you have a luxury room or not is irrelevant, and whether you have two rooms or 100 too. Where I live, the number 1 hotel is a three-room (luxury) hotel and the number two hotel in my city is a 20+ room budget hotel. They have both gotten the COE every year, and they both get the much more prestigious Traveler's Choice Award. Since you're a business owner, please post your concerns on the Owners' forum as per sticky at the top of this forum home page:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i12105-k5056048…

Silvia

Level Contributor
9 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence - What does it mean ?

I own The Brighton Shellfish & Oyster bar on Brighton beach Uk. We consistently get 4.5 -5 on our reviews and are rated at approx. 55 out of 600 plus restaurant's in Brighton. I think maybe because we are seasonal, we don't qualify for the " TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence "

I would love to win this award, but have no idea what I can do next to achieve it

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence - What does it mean ?

Questions or complaints about matters that pertain only to your business or property, or that are relevant only to business or property owners, should be posted in the Owners' forum.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i12105-k5056048…

Livingston, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence - What does it mean ?

how to get excellence certificate for our restaurant

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
40,789 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence - What does it mean ?

Welcome to the forums, bayleaflivingston,

Please read the post right above yours and follow the directions to post on the Owners' forum. Thanks

Silvia

Surrey
Level Contributor
6 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence - What does it mean ?

I am confused. My holiday rental has 21 5* reviews yet some who received them only have 12 reviews in total.Why did they get an award and others like me didnt?