We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Photos with review post in random order - help!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
148 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Photos with review post in random order - help!

I am trying to post 30 photos with a review I am working on. I first loaded them up one by one, in the order I wanted them in. When the screen came up with the opportunity to provide a description for each, I did so, then submitted. They appeared with the review (which I haven't yet submitted) in a completely random order. So I removed then, and tried again. Since I had left the digital file names on the images and they were in my folder on my hard drive based on *that* ordering, I thought this was maybe the problem. So I renumbered all 30 photos, 1.jpg through 30.jpg, in the order I wanted them in. Then I loaded them up to my review draft again. Once again, the photos appeared in a window with an opportunity to provide descriptions, and I did so. Submitted. Once again, the photos appeared in a completely random order. Is there any way to get your photos posted with your review in an order of your choosing? What's the secret?

Edited: 17 October 2013, 22:53
Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,489 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Photos with review post in random order - help!

I gave up posting photos on TA some time ago and now upload mine onto a photo sharing website [SlickPic] where I have total control over them and then post a link to them in the review

USA
Level Contributor
7,045 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Photos with review post in random order - help!

As far as I know there is no way for a member to dictate the proper ordering of photos. TripAdvisor posts them out of order.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
148 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Photos with review post in random order - help!

That is so crazy! I mean, there is NO rhyme or reason to the order. It isn't by order of submission, or even *reverse* order of submission. It isn't by date/time stamp on the photos. It isn't by file name. Is there any way they can be encouraged to look into this bug?

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,489 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Photos with review post in random order - help!

Even if they would allow you to alter the order once posted but they will not

IMHO TA is not a photo sharing website - OK for the odd photos BUT .................

So Cal
Level Contributor
9,510 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Photos with review post in random order - help!

There's no way to sort pics, either as a poster or as a viewer. This has been brought up many, many times; evidently TA does not care about the problem.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
148 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Photos with review post in random order - help!

Thanks, all. Maybe if enough reviewers complain they'll eventually address this, but I won't hold my breath and will just caption appropriately under these circumstances!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,121 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Photos with review post in random order - help!

Hello, Fjordstone, you are not the first to complain about this. I submit quite a few photos. These are my discoveries:

1) It works best when you submit no more than about 6-8 at one time.

2) They will nearly always get listed in "reverse" order. The photo you want first should be added last, etc. I have about 80% or more success with this method.

3) Once the photos are posted, anybody can vote on them. The photos with a greater number of "like" votes will be moved up toward the front of the pack. Sooooo, even if you work hard to get everything in order, and even if they all post in the order you want . . . within a few weeks of months they may be all jumbled anyway!

Here is an example, click on the blue link below. I added about 25 photos to my review of the Alaska Highway - in three different sessions - and spent quite a bit of time making sure they were all in a 'south to north' order. (They were posted in correct order!) As you can see, 5 of my photos proved popular and got voted to the front, whereas the others are now behind newer photos. And the beautiful main photo is from 2007!

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g30976-d27…

I have learned to relax, put good identifying and *very short* descriptions on each photo and just let 'em go!

-

Note that in the "interim" steps, *before* you submit them, the photos will appear in a random order.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
148 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Photos with review post in random order - help!

Thanks, half-Brit, for that detailed explanation. I am definitely going to have to just relax, although it will be hard — I am the person who reshelves books in the library or bookstore when I find them out of place. :-) Meanwhile, I have performed my due diligence by making sure that my captions are not dependent on any particular order. They *all* clearly explain what is going on in that very photo, and I repeat things like "This is the (insert part of room here) in our Lotus overwater bungalow suite," in all necessary photos, so that anyone looking will understand what they are seeing. Sigh. :-)

USA
Level Contributor
7,045 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Photos with review post in random order - help!

"This is the (insert part of room here) in our Lotus overwater bungalow suite," will be displayed as something like "This is the (insert part of room here) in..."

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,121 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Photos with review post in random order - help!

You're welcome and hoogo gives a good example of the reason I stressed *very short* description. You can no longer read the full description unless you go to the person's list of photos in the Member's Center.

I looked up your photos, Fjordstone, and if I may make a suggestion? Put the location or hotel/restaurant name first, then fit whatever else you can.