We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Error on Payment Form

Brooklyn, New York
3 posts
Save Topic
Error on Payment Form

When I try to pay for my UK rental with my U.S. VISA I get the error "The card you entered cannot be used for this payment. Please enter a different credit or debit card number."

I have verified with my bank there is no hold and funds are available - please help - thanks!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,749 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Error on Payment Form

Hi cksbrooklyn, welcome to the forum ~

Are you talking about a booking you thought you made through the TA button to the booking process?

I'm afraid that TA is not a booking site. It is simply a giant data base but doesn't take your money. When you clicked through that button to a UK rental (assume hotel?, or is a car? or vacation rental?) you were taken to a 3rd party online booking agency quite separate from TA. You will need to pay attention to which one it is when you are trying to do your booking. And then take it up with them if you continue to have a problem.

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
43,383 posts
261 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Error on Payment Form

If it is a vacation rental and you're paying with a credit card to get the Tripadvisor Peace of Mind guarantee, you'll need to contact Flipkey directly. Flipkey is a subsidiary of Tripadvisor and the company is managed separately.

Silvia

PS: Make sure that your bank accepts a foreign currency payment, as you need to pay in the currency you were billed in by the property manager.

Brooklyn, New York
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Error on Payment Form

Well have I been on a ride the last 24 hours. So TripAdvisor requires you to pay "with them" in order to get the guarantee. But it takes you to Paypals site. So the PayPal gives you an option of logging in to PayPal or just outright paying with a credit card. So I chose credit card. This is where I got the error. It says tripadvisor but the actual address is PayPal. So after calling my bank to confirm the card was ok I then called PayPal who told me to call Tripadviisor - which doesn't take calls. Called Paypal back. He wouldn't help so I asked if we could experiment by adding my card to my PayPal account. Tried that and it was rejected. So now he tells me someone I don't know in North Carolina has my credit card attached to their PayPal which is why its rejecting. Looks like fraud. But that still doesn't explain why it got rejected before logging into PayPal. He says I have to call my bank who has to call them to launch an investigation which could take 5 business days. I just wanted to pay for my rental. The bank suggests for safety I cancel the card. So I end up cancelling it and transferring funds online into PayPal so I can go through the whole Tripadvisor thing again and it finally worked logging into PayPal. Trip Advisor, you gotta work this stuff out with PayPal. They would not take ownership of the initial error message and sent me in a wild goose chase. This was ridiculous what I had to go through and they had horrible customer service. Thank goodness I pursued them more on the phone otherwise I would not have known that someone was fraudulently using my card.

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
43,383 posts
261 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Error on Payment Form

TA staff may or may not read your issue on this forum. You can send them a note via the Help Center:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/GeneralSupport

Select Vacation Rentals.

I had a similar problem with Jetblue and then using Paypal to pay them, just because I was abroad and was trying to purchase an air ticket on my name to return home. Go figure.

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,087 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Error on Payment Form

Just contact the owner of the vacation rental directly cks.......It is the most transparent and convenient way of doing this.......no need to have layers and layers of third and forth parties involved......

Then if there are any problems with the booking you can contact your credit card company to resolve them.....but I have never been stung by booking directly with the owner of a property.....

Brooklyn, New York
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Error on Payment Form

What a total rip- off and fraud - someone needs to do something about this TripAdvisor and Paypal!

To add insult to injury the order goes through and it's $75 higher then the agreed to price - and I get this message from Paypal:

"Rate of Exchange: If this transaction involves a currency conversion, there will be an exchange rate shown above. This exchange rate includes a 2.5% spread above the wholesale exchange rate at which PayPal obtains foreign currency, and the spread is retained by PayPal. If and when the Recipient chooses to withdraw these funds from the PayPal System, and if the withdrawal involves a currency conversion, the Recipient will convert the funds at the applicable currency exchange rate at the time of the withdrawal, and the Recipient may incur a withdrawal fee."

TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE.

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,087 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Error on Payment Form

Is it not too late to contact your credit card company and cancel the entire transaction ?......Sounds like it would be much better to just start from scratch......Sounds too many cooks in your kitchen here and all of them want a piece of the pie......LOL

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,749 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Error on Payment Form

Cksbrooklyn, sorry to say this after both the injury and the insult. Standard advice on this forum is to avoid the 3rd party bookers and book directly with the airline. The dilemma is that new posters often don't ask questions before they book or search the forums. When they come on to post about their bad experience, it is too late.

Some 3rd party bookers work quite well, but the majority of them seem to create a major headache.

BTW, the foreign exchange surcharge is more common than you think. The whole process requires educating yourself as a traveller before "entering" those treacherous waters.

If your booking is refundable and not locked in, cancel and look elsewhere for accommodation. If it is non-refundable, you could try filing a dispute with your credit card company for services not given. Specifically not being informed about Paypal's surcharge. But before you use that reason, did you read the fine print, the Terms and Conditions before clicking on the buy button? You may see that advisory in the T&Cs which means that you accepted the surcharge (and everything in the T&Cs) when you clicked the buy button.

Edited: 25 October 2013, 21:12
Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,461 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Error on Payment Form

I am still confused, As others have said TA is not a booking site and Flipkey, although owned by TA, do not check rentals. I therefore wonder if the rental is in fact a scam and that the person in the UK, if indeed they are actually in the UK, is attempting to get you to pay by money transfer, something that we strongly suggest on the London forum that you do not contemplate.

May I ask you to repost on the London forum (or the forum devoted to the relevant UK city or area should the rental not be in London) with a link to the property you are attempting to book. There are a lot of helpful folk on that forum who could investigate further.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g186338-i17-Lond…

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,039 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Error on Payment Form

Perhaps some information on this page will help:

…flipkey.com/entries/…id.9mz4irj4t6hp

Regards,

L4