We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spam to unique Trip Advisor email address

Edinburgh
5 posts
Save Topic
Spam to unique Trip Advisor email address

I registered on this site in May 2010, with an email address I had never used before, and never have used since.

Imagine my surprise, therefore, when I received the following spam from a "Jabine Butt <jbutt786@yahoo.co.uk>" (ie criminal spam and not from a Trip Advisor partner company)

Can someone please tell me just what TripAdvisor are playing at?

Hello Dear Candidate,

Based on your CV that we received from a staffing agency, you might be a good fit for this job opportunity.

Although the number of newly laid off workers filing claims for unemployment benefits unexpectedly rose last week, we have new open positions!

My name is %fl_name%, representative of our company. I would like to discuss our FSA opening with you. We are expanding our Payment Processing Agents' network in various United Kingdomn regions and are looking for candidates with different backgrounds and we believe you have the potential to be an excellent fit for this position.

Your first year earnings, including bonuses and advances, could amount from GBP 45,000 to GBP 75,000. No extra skills or experience required! We provide an on-line training and a personal supervisor to assist you in maximizing your earning potential during the first 30 days trial period.

If you are looking for an opportunity to build a significant career with full benefits, guaranteed pay (salary plus commission), and an extensive training process, we can offer you a home-based position of Independent Financial Support Agent.

If you are interested in this employment opportunity and would like to learn more about the Independent agent position, please e-mail your contact information and a phone number to reach you at to job.group.uk@gmail.com.

To expedite the communication process, please fill in the required information below:

=======================FORM======================

Forename: _____________________

Surname:________________________

Country of residence:______________________

Contact phone:________________________

Preferred call time:_____________________

=======================FORM======================

Our representative will contact you within the next 48 hours.

Best regards,

Rita Coldwell

1. Re: Spam to unique Trip Advisor email address

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 29 October 2013, 15:35
Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,631 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spam to unique Trip Advisor email address

In March 2011, TA notified all members that an unspecified number of members' email addresses had been stolen and might be used in future spam mailings:

…financialpost.com/2011/…

tripadvisor.ca/vpages/more_information.html

Since you used an email address unique to your TripAdvisor account, it seems that you are one of the unlucky ones to receive spam as a result.

Edited: 29 October 2013, 14:00
Edinburgh
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Spam to unique Trip Advisor email address

Perhaps you missed the "unique Trip Advisor email address bit"? Many people have a system whereby they can use a different, unique, email address for every web site they register with. The particular username/domain combination I used for this site has not been used anywhere else and, while I do on occasion get spam addressed to completely made up users on my domains, I have never had spam that fitted the format of my generated usernames without actually matching an address I've used with a company that was less than careful with user data.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
61,453 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spam to unique Trip Advisor email address

I agree with C_W above and you are lucky to an extent that it has taken someone so long to use it

There is an outside chance the spammers have just hit lucky as they have been know to generate e_mail addresses as well

Edinburgh
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Spam to unique Trip Advisor email address

Thanks!

That would definitely explain it. I can't find any sign of an email from TA from then, or I'd have retired the address.

I guess I was just lucky in not getting more spam and sooner!

Cheers, and thanks again

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
61,453 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spam to unique Trip Advisor email address

There was a huge amount of media coverage when the e_mail addresses were stolen and many other companies apart from TA had similar instances of cyber theft

From memory it was 2-3 years ago

Edinburgh
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Spam to unique Trip Advisor email address

Cheers - the odds are I saw the coverage, thought "Ouch! I'm glad I'm not registered there" and passed on - completely forgetting that I *was* registered on this site....

I'll apologise for the disruption, and return you to your normal programme....

Thanks, everyone!

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
43,895 posts
825 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Spam to unique Trip Advisor email address

I guess that since you do not use that email address then you should not care too much.

Edinburgh
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Spam to unique Trip Advisor email address

Pretty much - but it's extremely useful in nailing down organisations with potential privacy issues (albeit years too late in this case). It also makes it a lot easier to keep my mail boxes tidy - which is, to be honest, the main reason I do it.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Spam to unique Trip Advisor email address

I guess I was just lucky in not getting more spam and sooner!

=====

You were, mine started almost immediately. Luckily it was trivial for me to change to a new email address.