We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dealing with inappropriate message from manager?

Utica, New York
Level Contributor
7 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Dealing with inappropriate message from manager?

Hello,

I am wondering if anyone has had a problem dealing with a manager of a service you have reviewed who has not been happy with your honest review of their service? I posted a very straightforward objective review of Quality Wine Tours and received a harassing email accusing me of lying about being their customer!

I have the documentation to prove this, if need be I will post it, but this is an extremely rude and unprofessional thing for a company to do, and I think their behavior should be reported so that other customers can know about this.

At no point did the owner/manager contact me to verify that I used their service - or even asked anything to try to verify this. The person simply accused me of being a liar. I have tried to contact TA about this, but there is no way to contact them ... any advice?

The link to my review is below, in case you are interested. I am guessing the harassing email will be posted under it as their "response."

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,543 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dealing with inappropriate message from manager?

I read your review and to be honest I am not sure what your issue with the company is. You tried to book a sedan, but they said that wasn't available, but would give you a limo for the same price. Then the sedan became available, so you were given that instead, only now you weren't happy with the price and wanted a reduction as you thought you were getting the limo. But you were actually paying the same price you had agreed to in the first place, and getting exactly what you had first asked for.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,870 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dealing with inappropriate message from manager?

Go to

http://www.tripadvisor.com/GeneralSupport

Choose from the drop down

Forums , private messages

Then choose Help Using the Forums

This will allow you to write a note telling TA a manager has contacted you- you might want to copy/paste in the message you received ( it is best to save the message for future reference if you can as well )

TA will take action against the business , though they may never tell you what they did... it is against TA Guidelines for a manager to contact a reviewer.

He has no right to try to get you to prove you were customer. If TA has any doubt about it they would contact you themselves. While few of the other drop downs may sound more like what you might need, this is one that allows you to write comments to the TA Staff.

A local manager was harassing me- it stopped immediately after I contacted TA. I would suggest you not respond to or have any more dialogue with the manager- let TA deal with it- they know how to stop it..

Edited: 13 November 2013, 21:14
Utica, New York
Level Contributor
7 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dealing with inappropriate message from manager?

I do not know how I could have been more clear - he offered the limo at the sedan price, then reneged. Do you think this is honest business practice? And even if not, do you think it is appropriate to send harassing emails to someone who wrote an honest review?

Utica, New York
Level Contributor
7 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dealing with inappropriate message from manager?

Thank you, Lulutoo!

- this was very helpful.

Regards!

Edited: 13 November 2013, 21:21
rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
20,464 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dealing with inappropriate message from manager?

While I don't think it is appropriate for the manager to send you harrassing emails, I do think you are being rather precious about your downgrade to the original deal.

In your review you say if you had known about the downgrade in time, you would have chosen another service. Why? You were happy enough to book with this company when it was just a sedan you were requesting. You were offered an upgrade but as it turned out, it wasn't available on the day and you ended up with your original request. The upgrade would have been sweet, but you didn't receive any less than you would have with your original order.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
4,921 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dealing with inappropriate message from manager?

"you didn't receive any less than you would have with your original order."

I agree - in the end you got exactly what you reserved and payed for, so I don't really see the basis for a complaint. However, the manager's reaction is certainly not an appropriate way to address this issue, and should definitely be reported to TA as a violation of the T&C.

-JimG

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
55,515 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dealing with inappropriate message from manager?

If I understand your review, you were given a limo at the same rate as the sedan. How would there need to be a reduction in cost if returning to the sedan. Anyway, there is a very poor management response to your review. And lulutoo has given you the method for contacting TA. I hope you receive no further contact from this manager.

8. Re: Dealing with inappropriate message from manager?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 14 November 2013, 19:59
Edited: 14 November 2013, 19:59
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,788 posts
1,036 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dealing with inappropriate message from manager?

Businesses are NOT to contact reviewers and certainly they are not supposed to harrass or threaten them. Please do report the company to TA staff.

The management response guidelines state "No accusations of review fraud." so the response is against the guidelines. You should report it as well.

Utica, New York
Level Contributor
7 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dealing with inappropriate message from manager?

YorkFoodie ,

I said I might have considered it. And overall, I believe "Bait and Switch" is actually poor business practice and is actually illegal in some jusridictions. They were the first company called- if they were up front about only offering the Sedan then we might have looked around to other companies first. True, we may have used their service but maybe not.

As an update, the manager actually called my companion who booked our trip and pressured her to get me to remove the review. He called her twice. The manager has successfully gotten my review removed, as well. I have emailed TA about this and attached a photo of my contract. I expect it to be reinstated soon. I have also reported Quality Wine Tours for three harassing emails and send TA an email about this ... no response so far. I certainly do hope TripAdvisor actually adheres to their own policies. We will see.

Edited: 15 November 2013, 19:46