We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Refusal on Accomodation Listing

Bolton, UK
Level Contributor
2,289 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
Refusal on Accomodation Listing

Hi,

I have in the past managed to get a couple of accommodations that we have stayed at during our travels listed. I only tend to list those that we feel deserve to be listed (fortunately thanks to TA we haven't had any dire experiences)

The place I'm trying to list is

http://taldolala-cottages.com/

However, today I receive the standard email thanking me for my submission, but saying "We're sorry, but we were unable to verify that the property meets our listing guidelines from the information provided." I've viewed the guidelines and can't see how it contravenes them.

Can anyone shed any light on the reason for refusal and how I could get the place listed?

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
42,471 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Refusal on Accomodation Listing

Hi,

In my opinion, there's no enough information on that website for Tripadvisor staff to see whether or not these cottages have onsite staff. If they do, TA may consider to list them in the Specialty Lodging section. If they don't, the owner needs to list them on Holidaylettings.co.uk as holiday rentals (there is a fee involved). The listings will then be automatically fed to Tripadvisor Holdiay rental section.

On-site staff is the minimum requirement to get a listing directly on TA. The listing requirements are here if you'd like to read them:

…custhelp.com/app/…accommodations

Silvia

Edited: 14 November 2013, 16:43
Bolton, UK
Level Contributor
2,289 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Refusal on Accomodation Listing

Thanks Silvia,

I would have thought the fact that the rates include breakfast and they also offer lunch and dinner would indicate they have on - site staff.

Or does it mean that they have the staff to change the linen regularly, clean the rooms etc. The owner and his family are there 24/7 to look after the guests needs and requests. But does this need to be stated on the website?

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
Level Contributor
4,902 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Refusal on Accomodation Listing

It never hurts to dot the Is and cross the Ts!

TA are not mind readers and if something is not explicitly stated and easily visible on the website they will not make assumptions.

Daily housekeeping is a requirement for inclusion as a Hotel or B&B, on site staff for Speciality lodging

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
73,604 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Refusal on Accomodation Listing

Hi infoaddict;

TA staff have commented that the owners of a B&B living onsite, would not be considered "on site staff", but a staffed 24 hour front desk would.

I hope that helps.

Best Regards

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse
Level Contributor
4,357 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Refusal on Accomodation Listing

It is very difficult for me, looking at the website (which is the only thing that TA staff would be able to go by) to work out whether this is a few vacation rental cottages, a B&B, or a hotel. The fact that there is a food package could mean that the owner/manager has arranged for a local restaurant to bring in prepared food if the guest requests it.

If I were TA Staff (and I'm not) then I would give the same answer - not enough information to know if it is listable (for free) on the main TA or not, or whether it should go into the FlipKey/Holidaylettings paid site and be listed that way on TA.

If you have contact with the person who wrote the website, you might want to let them know about that. otherwise I would just move on, having tried your best.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
22,143 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Refusal on Accomodation Listing

I agree. It just looks more like a holiday cottage rental that has a restaurant available.

They just need to improve their website.

Bolton, UK
Level Contributor
2,289 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Refusal on Accomodation Listing

Thanks guys, you've been a great help viewing it from an outsiders point of view. It would be so much easier if TA just told you which of the guidelines it didn't comply with, instead of leaving you guessing.

I will forward this post to the owner and see if it helps him. As TravellingBritNY says, I can only go so far before throwing in the towel.

It's a shame really, as we travel a lot and find some real gems, which other travellers would really benefit from. But these sort of places generally don't have websites and the money available to pay listing fees. Seem like they are destined to remain our little secret :)

8. Re: Refusal on Accomodation Listing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 November 2014, 06:19