We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can a business owner remove the reviews on his property?

Paris, France
Level Contributor
18 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Can a business owner remove the reviews on his property?

I was so surprised to see a hotel recently removed all its past reviews. I didn't know it is possible!! I mean all those negative but real reviews just disappear like nothing happened!! How can TripAdvisor allow it to happen! What if someone gets mislead by it....

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,329 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can a business owner remove the reviews on his property?

Only in certain circumstances such as

1. the review is against posting guidelines and TA agree

2. There has been a change of owner / management

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,902 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can a business owner remove the reviews on his property?

2 should read "there has been a change in ownership". A change of management is not sufficient.

3. There has been a major renovation.

In cases 2 & 3, the owner must provide documentation of the change to TripAdvisor, and all reviews that were submitted before the change are removed, both bad & good.

Edited: 16 November 2013, 21:22
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,958 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can a business owner remove the reviews on his property?

>> a hotel recently removed all its past reviews.<<

Sounds as if there was a change in ownership and/or a major renovation.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
74,016 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can a business owner remove the reviews on his property?

Hi lapin_814;

Just to add / clarify / reiterate my esteemed colleagues comments.

1) The property can NOT remove their own reviews

2) ONLY TA staff can remove reviews from the site

3) The owner must provide appropriate documentation to TripAdvisor

4) ALL reviews before the change are removed, both good & bad.

Best Regards

Paris, France
Level Contributor
18 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can a business owner remove the reviews on his property?

Thanks for all your replies.

I don't know if that hotel has undergone such a change... I only noticed it because I was comparing different hotels and this time when I re-visit the page, everything is gone.

Guess I will have to wait to see the changes :)

Thanks again

6. Re: Can a business owner remove the reviews on his property?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 12 October 2014, 13:08
Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,902 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can a business owner remove the reviews on his property?

Before I respond to your posting, I want to point out that I don't work for TripAdvisor. As with all Destination Experts, I'm a TA member like you who volunteers to help fellow members with their questions.

Ordinarily, TA does not remove old reviews due to change of ownership unless they have received documentation of the sale of the business. But it seems that the former owner must have supplied this.

When you purchased the business, did you also purchase the goodwill? If so, I believe you should check with a lawyer and see if you have a case for damages against the former owner, if he/she was responsible for removing the reviews.If you didn't purchase the goodwill, then I don't think there is anything you can do. But I am not a lawyer, just someone who is familiar with TripAdvisor.

If you changed the business name along with the change of ownership, there is a good chance that TA staff removed the reviews as they would have thought it was an entirely new business at the same location. As you know, that often happens with restaurants.

8. Re: Can a business owner remove the reviews on his property?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 12 October 2014, 13:08
Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
20,238 posts
326 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can a business owner remove the reviews on his property?

Hi Trainbuff, I'd suggest registering as the owner of your business here on TA (if you haven't already) and once you've done that you can get access to the Owners Forum - there is a sticky thread at the top of the Support Forum which tells you how to do this.

If you post in there, there are lots of other like minded owners who will be able to give you some good advice.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
10 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Can a business owner remove the reviews on his property?

Hi everyone

I think all old reviews that are eg 2+ year old should be removed as reviews that are over a year old don't really mean a lot. I certainly disregard all reviews that are more than 1 year old. A good hotel can turn bad after 1 year or a bad hotel can turn good etc. I have friends who have superb hotels and when the hotels first opened 2-3+ years ago there were some negative comments for teething problems but these are now totally out of date and they should definitely be removed. For the record Tripadvisor is very good but it can also be very very damaging for a business and all people who write reviews must remember that the pen can sometimes be mightier than the sword. I will be honest and say that although I am a Tripadvisor contributor and written lots of reviews I take many reviews with a pinch of salt. As I have witnessed first hand the imbalance in the Tripadvisor review system. So in reply to the above question - a business should have the right to remove certain reviews.