We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

phishing attack?

Rothesay, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
phishing attack?

I have received an email which is supposed to have come from tripadvisor but the email address it has come from is:

members@e.tripadvisor.co.uk

Which I do not think is you.

Am I right?

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
29,371 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: phishing attack?

Past threads on this forum have confirmed it to be a valid TripAdvisor address.

What did it say?

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
61,759 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: phishing attack?

As has been said it is a genuine e_mail address

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: phishing attack?

That is not a phishing attack.

Rothesay, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: phishing attack?

Great.I have had a number of similar addresses on the same lines and all have been fake hence my concern. Norman

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: phishing attack?

Which I do not think is you.

Am I right?

======

No you are wrong.

emails read from left to right just like postal addresses so the far most address immediately before the dot com or dot co dot uk, is where it ends up, so eg "tripadvisor.co.uk" ends up at the UK node for TA.

so for example

members@a.b.c.d.e.tripadvisor.co.uk is a TA address

members@a.b.c.d.tripadvisor.e.co.uk is not, since it ultimately goes to an address called "e.co.uk"

i have my own domain, lets say its called joeintheuk dot com (it isn't :-) and could have an email address members@tripadvisor.joeintheuk dot com but the other way round members@joeintheuk.tripadvisor dot com would just go to TA since it ends in tripadvisor dot com

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: phishing attack?

e.tripadvisor.co.uk is the sender's address;-)

Rothesay, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: phishing attack?

I think members@e.tripadvisor.co.uk is their address.

But at least it isn't a phishing attack. I have no idea what it wanted. I was certainly not going to follow any links. I use Linux, not Windows, so my system is not as vulnerable to most attempts like the one I got earlier today asking for my passwords etc.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: phishing attack?

I have no idea what it wanted

======

What did it say?

FWIW there is no difference at all between any computer system, be it Windows, Linux or Mac, from a phishing POV because the "attack" is against the computer user, its irrelevant what OS you have.

If i send you an email which says "logon here at blahblahscam dot com and enter your bank details and password" its irrelevant which OS you use.

Edited: 17 November 2013, 18:12
Rothesay, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: phishing attack?

True but only if that is the only thing involved, let's face it the various attacks are getting more and more sophisticated and there is nothing to stop any such including various attempts at getting into your system. Initially it seemed only prudent to post rather than let others with little experience fall foul of any problem. I have no desire to get into a debate about different O/S's it's each persons choice to make for themselves.

As to what it was about well I deleted it so i don't know.

Edited: 17 November 2013, 18:51
UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: phishing attack?

have no desire to get into a debate about different O/S's it's each persons choice to make for themselves.

-------

So why mention it then?

As to what it was about well I deleted it so i don't know.

------

Ah, mistakenly I received the impression you read it and couldn't understand what it was asking or informing. I think it was probably the famous "respond to this within 12 hours and get $25,000 as a lucky winner " genuine email from TA. Never mind.