We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can photos be linked to Trip Reports on the Forums?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,257 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Can photos be linked to Trip Reports on the Forums?

Can a poster give a link to a Flickr URL or a non-commercial content blog URL? I must admit I haven't noticed photos in the TRs I've read, although I've seen links to a couple of Aussie blogs.

The Forum Guidelines say this: …custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/850

When I click on the "irrelevant content" hyperlink in the second bullet, another page opens that seems to be all about review guidelines, with a good section about photos near the end of the page. The reference to photos there refers to reviews. A bit puzzled about having review guidelines linked into the forums guidelines.

Further down at the 5th bullet, in the "HTML and Javascript" line it says: no photo attachments ... but ... URLs in forums posts will automatically be hyperlinked. Which suggests Flickr &c would be okay.

What is the actual policy for linking photos (-bucket, flickr, hobby blogs) in a forum post that happens to be a TR?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,463 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can photos be linked to Trip Reports on the Forums?

We have seen links to flickr and other photo sharing sites as well as personal blogs in the forums I frequent . trip reports are just content in the forum with links and I have not seen TA distinguish TRs from other posts.

We have even posted those links in Top questions

And none of those posts have been marked as inappropriate or removed by TA. We did see one TR removed by the community which at times seems to have their own rules about what TA allows or does not allow. The link was to a photoblog TR (and a very good one) but that page had other info including a menu title called shop. Again it was a personal site and not a commercial website

We have some DEs who post links to their photo site and IMHO, too much private info is being shared .. But to each his own.

A picture is worth a 1000 words as they say and in some cases instead of rambling TRs without any paragraph breaks, a few photos IMHO are sometimes really cool.

While I would love to hear an official answer, I doubt there is one

Edited: 20 November 2013, 03:17
South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,116 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can photos be linked to Trip Reports on the Forums?

Two issues:

1. Yes, we can post links to blogs. But as Belomiser says, there can be too much info. And blogs are, more often than not, of mediocre quality.

2. Yes, the forum Guidelines have become much shorter, less precise and have been contaminated and confused by reference to Reviews through out.

There's not much interest in forum Guidelines now, I think. Just look at the increasing number of threads on this forum and HUMTAB about "chat" posts and threads becoming more prevalent.

And try finding the Guidelines! Go to the Help Centre link at the bottom of the page, click on "Guidelines and policies" in the first drop-down - hoping that's where they'll be. Forum Guidelines aren't even in the five pages of the list that follows.

And if you do find them by going to Help Centre in the first drop-down, try posting a link to them in a thread. The browser address just gives you a link to the entire Help Centre. This is another task that is just becoming too difficult because of unfocussed website redesign.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,257 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can photos be linked to Trip Reports on the Forums?

Okay, that's good then. I do know from doing a bit of damage control that any blog with "commercial" connections in it will be removed. But a hobby blog is usually not a problem unless "the community" misguidedly gets trigger happy. I will assume that blogless photos on something like flickr can be linked into a TR. Yeah, sometimes the paragraph breaks are a bonus. :-)

Everything you say, Luigi, is what I have seen. I go directly to the Help Centre home page where the forums guidelines are to be found 6 down in the list (forum guidelines are NOT a priority on the little pop up thingy). And I right click on the "Forums Guidelines" link, then choose open in a new tab. Then a dedicated URL appears for the new page and can be copied and pasted into somewhere else. I continue to be amazed at the pretzel moves one has to make to get around this website.

Good, maybe we can get some photos on the TRs that come in.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,116 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can photos be linked to Trip Reports on the Forums?

Of course we can all have our own workaround to get a postable link to the Guidelines. I have mentioned before that I use this list: tripadvisor.custhelp.com/app/answers/list It's item #6.

But it would be simpler if the forum Guidelines were actually written about the forums, were easy to find and were easily linkable. Wouldn't it?

Edited: 20 November 2013, 07:07
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,257 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can photos be linked to Trip Reports on the Forums?

Simpler than TA seems to be able to fathom. :-(

6. Re: Can photos be linked to Trip Reports on the Forums?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 November 2014, 05:17