We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scared by reviews about tripadvisor

Berlin, Germany
3 posts
Save Topic
Scared by reviews about tripadvisor

I'm planning to list my bed and breakfast with tripadvisor.

I tend to do some research before I use third party services and this case is no different.

What scares me the most are the negative reactions to tripadvisor I have read.

The main problem being, people being able to submit fraudulent reviews, and owners not being able to do anything against it.

Specifically my situation, where my neighbor is also running a B&B. I would not put it beneath her

to write a biting review.

Thanks in advance,

Your sincerely

Scared owner.

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,558 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scared by reviews about tripadvisor

If someone wanted to review your B&B on Tripadvisor they could ask for it to be listed, so you would have no choice in the matter, as they don't have to have your permission. So maybe stop worrying about something you have no control over, and just make sure your B&B is up to standard, that's the only way to be sure of getting good reviews.

Berlin, Germany
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Scared by reviews about tripadvisor

Hahaha, I am a bit of a control freak I have to admit that.

My neighbor doesn't know that I'm starting a B&B, so they wouldn't ask

for it to be listed.

But what is stopping someone from writing a whole bunch of fraudulent bad reviews?

My fear is that it is apparently quite difficult to refute fraudulent reviews as an owner.

Anyway thanks for your response I'll try not to worry as much.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,657 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scared by reviews about tripadvisor

Hi Marvin ~

TA is not perfect, that's for sure. Reviews are written by all sorts of people. You are quite right to think that some may be true and some may be false. I think it's fair to say that a well run accommodation will get a high percentage of authentic and fair reviews. An accommodation that is not so well run will not fare so well. In the end, it is the tone and comments of the majority of the reviews that will determine what decision readers will make about where to stay.

If you do decide to list your B&B, you would then be able to register as an owner, claim your listing, access the Owners' Forum and manage your property from there. It is also a help forum for owners and you can learn how to write a good management response to any review. I will say that TA do have procedures for detecting false reviews. On the main page of the Support Forum, in 2nd? position, against a push pin is this article. Read everything, including opening the blue print links within the article:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i12105-k5056048…

When you think about where you shop, in general, you know why you like to go to some places but not others. Usually it is good and fair service, good quality interaction with the customer, knowledgeable staff, responding well to complaints. It's the same for guests when looking for an accommodation, in my view. And they see those attributes in the reviews.

I see you have just posted again. Starting up a B&B would definitely be a learning curve, so you would probably want to join your local B&B Association for support for a while. Control freak. Hmmm, not sure that is a beneficial characteristic of a place where people want to feel as much "at home" as possible.

Berlin, Germany
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Scared by reviews about tripadvisor

I'm a control freak only for myself, not in regards to other people (maybe a poor choice words).

It might be more appropriate to say I'm a perfectionist :)

In addition, I do have extensive experience in the hospitality industry I've

just never had a B&B at my current property.

Thank you all for putting my mind at ease.

Marvin

California
Level Contributor
1,937 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Scared by reviews about tripadvisor

Marvin,

[from a fairly new retired B&B owner]

"Control freak" -- hmmm . . .

May I suggest that you change the words to "I like to be in charge as the owner of my business and to be responsible for my business decisions."

How would a guest feel to stay at any lodging property where the owner was out-of-control, where the business was out-of-control? (See how it sounds when you hear the words in reverse?)

Copper JackRabbit

P.S. May I suggest that you join -- if you have not done so already -- The Professional Association of Innkeepers International at www.Innkeeping.org They have an innkeepers forum (much like this one) where you can post your question -- and you can also read previous posts. TA was always a HOT TOPIC when I still owned my B&B. With our fearless leader, Jay Karen CEO of PAII, we B&B inn owners were able to get "some" things changed at TA.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,789 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Scared by reviews about tripadvisor

It's a bit of of your hands anyway. Once you are in business and your business qualifies for a listing, anyone may request your business be listed here, whether they are associated with your business or not, whether they were a guest or not.

The only real choice you have is if you wish to participate in the maintenance of the data on your listing, or if you wish to respond to reviews. IMHO you may as well request a lasting and register as the owner, then you'll be informed of reviews.

7. Re: Scared by reviews about tripadvisor

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 December 2014, 05:18