We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Profanity?

Gothenburg, Sweden
Level Contributor
4 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
Profanity?

Hi, just tried to post a review but got an error message telling me n´my text contains a profanity. I can't find any profanities in my reviews, but then English is not my native language. Do you know what word they're reacting to?

"Location: This hotel has an OK location, right next to Termini station. However, that's not an area that you explore as a tourist. It's good if you need to be close to the train station, though. If I were to travel to Rome again, I would choose to live closer to Piazza Navona and the nearby neighbourhood which has more character. A cheaper, but very nice location is Trastevere. So choose those neighbourhoods instead if you don't have to be close to Termini.

Hotel: Very friendly staff, a family run hotel. The house is nice, with a cool courtyard (although you are not allowed to stand in the courtyard...)

Room: Our room was basic, clean and small but still liveable for two adults. The bathroom was very small and a bit run down. The bed was very uncomfortable. You could feel every spring in the mattress. Don't stay here if you want to sleep. There was also noise from the floor above, starting at around 6 am every morning. It sounded like they were stomping on the floor. So, we hardly got any sleep during our stay. The door to the corridor was paper-thin. Luckily, the other people staying there were quiet.

Breakfast: Sugary! If you like pastry, you have come to the right place. Coffee was OK. I would rather buy breakfast somewhere else.

All in all, I would stay somewhere else if I were to return to Rome."

Gothenburg, Sweden
Level Contributor
4 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Profanity?

OK, tried to find out what was wrong by posting my review with one sentence at a time taken out. Luckily, I found the answer in the beginning of my review.

This was the profanity: "However, that's not an area that you explore as a tourist."

Soooo, they're a bit sensitive at Tripadvisor.

Thanks for all your help! Next time I'll write a shorter review...

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
37,951 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Profanity?

Unbelievable.....hope some of the support Des can help and explain?

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,486 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Profanity?

Tilly

In recent times it has meant a lot more in military terms with troops mistreating prisoners

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
37,951 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Profanity?

Oh I see what you mean...

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,032 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Profanity?

That's really strange. I think TA's profanity filter has a problem, that sounds like a bug to me.

Tucson Arizona
Level Contributor
1,667 posts
689 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Profanity?

Incredible !!!

New definition of " profanity".

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Profanity?

OK I'm being dim. Can someone explain where prisoner mistreatment comes in? Thanks.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
60,335 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Profanity?

I don't see what you mean. It won't even Google.

Newton...
Destination Expert
for Newton
Level Contributor
3,486 posts
TripAdvisor Staff  
Save Reply
19. Re: Profanity?

Hi lottagus,

Thanks for reporting this to us. It looks like you submitted your review on our Swedish (.se) site. In this case, the profanity checks being applied are for the Swedish language (even though you wrote your review in English). I am not up on my swedish profanity terms but I have have also passed this forum post/details to our review moderators to take a look and make sure our swedish profanity filters are working correctly.

In the meantime, it looks like you have modified your first sentence and resubmitted your review, which seems to have made the profanity gods happy, but since you said that English is not your your native language, you can always submit your review in Swedish on our .se site. Or if you prefer to submit your reviews in English, you might want to switch to our .com or .co.uk site to submit additional reviews in English.

I hope this helps and thanks for writing your review!

Jeanine

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
60,335 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Profanity?

I don't think anyone would have guessed that the poster was on the .se version of TA (Swedish language needed). Now it makes sense to me.