We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is a restaurant allowed to have 2 listings for reviews?

Naugatuck, CT
Level Contributor
60 posts
107 reviews
Save Topic
Is a restaurant allowed to have 2 listings for reviews?

I reviewed a restaurant this week and find two review pages for them. One in Sandy Hook, CT where the restaurant is really located, and one in Newtown, CT which is a neighboring town where the restaurant is NOT located.

Is there a reason they should be doing this? And, more importantly, is it allowed?

I count on the restaurant reviews every time my husband and I are making a choice to try something new. If I can't trust that the restaurant owner is listing itself properly, or is duping us by having an additional listing in a nearby more known town, it doesn't seem fair to the consumer who would have no reason to research the venue in a neighboring town. I know what I'm trying to say, I can only pray that my thoughts are coming across clearly for you readers.

Thanks so much for helping me understand how this might work from an owner's perspective.

Have a wonderful holiday season!

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
38,214 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is a restaurant allowed to have 2 listings for reviews?

In many cases, if not all, it is not the owners doing....but members who ask for listing and TA does not check that the listing exists already.

Naugatuck, CT
Level Contributor
60 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is a restaurant allowed to have 2 listings for reviews?

Thank you Tilly. In that case, it would be understandable, especially if TA was looking for the restaurant in the incorrect town.

I thought it was always that the owners had to actually create the listing. Apparently, I'm very wrong on that presumption.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
38,214 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is a restaurant allowed to have 2 listings for reviews?

no, Lynda, any member can ask for listing

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is a restaurant allowed to have 2 listings for reviews?

What Tilly says, indeed sometimes owners post in here and demand their restaurants or hotels are removed (usually ones with poor ratings) .

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,039 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is a restaurant allowed to have 2 listings for reviews?

I've found that sometimes there are minor changes in the name, etc. but it's best to report them. Owners can report duplicates of their own listings via their Management Centers, as you probably know. If you come across a duplicate not of your business, you can report it to TA this way:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/GeneralSupport

Listings > Report a duplicate listing

Regards,

L4

Naugatuck, CT
Level Contributor
60 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is a restaurant allowed to have 2 listings for reviews?

Thanks, Luckyfour, I've reported it.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,070 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is a restaurant allowed to have 2 listings for reviews?

It can take 4-8 weeks for TA staff to fix duplicate listings. If both listings have reviews, no reviews are lost; all will appear on the updated single listing page.

Naugatuck, CT
Level Contributor
60 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is a restaurant allowed to have 2 listings for reviews?

Well, this particular restaurants are just as bad, no matter which town you find them in. LOL ;)

9. Re: Is a restaurant allowed to have 2 listings for reviews?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 December 2014, 05:18