We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bulk listings now affecting Nightlife

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
3,466 posts
195 reviews
Save Topic
Bulk listings now affecting Nightlife

After the mass addition of fast food takeaways to the restaurant listings, it seems that TripAdvisor is now using the same kind of automated tool to bulk-list new Nightlife listings en masse from an acquired database.

Over 100 have appeared today just in my local county alone. Again it seems odd as Nightlife is probably the least reviewed category on TripAdvisor - or maybe this is the point, too boost interest in this section.

Amongst these new listings are the same kind of errors seen with the restaurants i.e. listing of closed businesses and inaccurate placement regarding location.

There are also some wacko listing names being created, see:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g186311-…

What's that about? These are three different bars combined in one listing, with the address as "Various". (2 of these bars already have a Nightlife listing).

And how about this for a business name?:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g187056-…

I suppose if there are more genuine listings created than errors then TripAdvisor is not that bothered, but it's going to keep the listings staff even busier with correction requests.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,210 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bulk listings now affecting Nightlife

*sigh* Meanwhile, more than two months after it opened, I'm still waiting for a major new hotel to be added to my city's listings.

Edited: 27 December 2013, 15:50
Norfolk
Destination Expert
for Norfolk
Level Contributor
2,026 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bulk listings now affecting Nightlife

I saw this post and thought I would have a look at my home county - Norfolk. Not knowing what was listed previously under Nightlife - I am guessing the same bulk listing has happened because out of 136 listings only 15 have any reviews.

Most of the listings are pubs, many of which already have a restaurant listing - so this may cause a bit of confusion, although I suppose it also allows non diners to review the establishment. It causes confusion now when some places are listed both as a hotel and restaurant.

The list of pubs is not exhaustive, with at least three in my home town not included.

There are four places listed for Buxton, Norfolk, which would feel more at home in the Peak District, while none of the pubs in Buxton, Norfolk get a mention.

I found one strange name, but I have no idea if it is the genuine name or not -

tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g186342-…

Some places are listed under their local nickname [The Wellington in Cromer is called the Welly], and some places are social clubs, which I assume requires membership. There is also an alcohol delivery service listed-

tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g503726-…

USA
Level Contributor
6,981 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bulk listings now affecting Nightlife

Let's agree to quit blaming members for listing mistakes.

I am not cleaning up the local mess. TripAdvisor made it, they can clean it up.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
Level Contributor
4,859 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bulk listings now affecting Nightlife

So we have spurious listings that may or may not exist, to be illustrated with random photos from around the world and placed at unrelated places on the map.

With so little concern for listing accuracy why should anyone believe that TA is making any effort to maintain review integrity

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
3,466 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bulk listings now affecting Nightlife

I now think that Facebook is the source that TripAdvisor is using to add these new Nightlife listings by using any Facebook page tagged as "Bar" or "Pub/bar". The format on the TripAdvisor listings matches exactly the details appearing on Facebook.

See these examples below:

"The Hoof-Inn" in Rainham, Kent, England: tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g503915-…

Having never heard of this local "Bar" or unable find it online I looked at Google Streetview. The address given is a suburban residential house. From Facebook I think the "bar" in question is the owner's private bar in their back garden!:

https:/…141311272635891

"Romney Marsh banter" tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g1166969…

I think "Romney Marsh banter" is just someone's personal Facebook page/blog!:

https:/…161157077282715

I'm pleased to say that the wacky ones mentioned earlier by myself and gorby321 have been taken down.

Essex
Level Contributor
27,032 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bulk listings now affecting Nightlife

Have just had a look at the Essex ones.

Can"t see anything obviously amiss, except that Ilford Catholic Club is a private club, although it appears they do have live events open to the public, from time to time.

For Essex a paltry incomplete list, either get it right, or do not bother.....

BUT

If going to include ALL the pubs and night haunts of Essex, including members clubs, such as above, that will clutter up TA nicely with 1,000's of silly new listings, not just 100's.....

Edited: 05 January 2014, 12:41
USA
Level Contributor
6,981 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bulk listings now affecting Nightlife

Good sleuthing, BayB0y! I have seen supporting evidence that that at least some of the bulk listings come from facebook. There are a few hilarious ones.

Norfolk
Destination Expert
for Norfolk
Level Contributor
2,026 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bulk listings now affecting Nightlife

Thanks for the detective work BayB0y.

You are correct - the Norfolk total has fallen by 2 [the 2 I gave links for].

The 4 Buxton [Derbyshire] places are still there however.

No doubt it will get sorted - eventually!

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
Level Contributor
4,859 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bulk listings now affecting Nightlife

I think you are right about them being trawled from Facebook I looked at "The Bull Inn often imitated never bettered" when you first posted and I couldn't find any references on Google other than on FB pages - the address given was in a residential road with no pubs and matched the FB page.

Southampton now has as many night life entries as all other attractions some of which duplicate existing restaurant listings.

As usual TA expect their users to spend time correcting the mess they have created.

Edited: 05 January 2014, 20:01
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,795 posts
1,037 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bulk listings now affecting Nightlife

I've been trying to get some of the local bulk restaurants removed. You know, the ones that have not been in business for several years? Still trying, with limited success.

I did get a Photo/Around World removed from a hotel that has not been in business for about 10 years, though. The photo had cars from the early 1970's in it. The hotel remains listed, despite two notices to TA that it is long gone.

.......sigh.........