We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My review dissapeared

Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
2 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
My review dissapeared

I had a good but average stay at a hotel with a few challenges. It was fine and met the criteria by Tripadvisor, and the review was posted. But then a day or two ago, it was deleted. One can guess the reason why....

Tripadvisor gives no contact info to ask what happened...I have contributed to Tripadvisor for years and not sure why I get this treatment.....

Honestly it's not a big deal, and I laugh it off....just be careful, maybe some of the reviews we see are really selective.....

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My review dissapeared

I suggest you contact TA staff using this web form:

www.tripadvisor.co.uk/UserReviewSupport

Select 'Status of my review' and then 'Not listed'.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
76,372 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My review dissapeared

Hi chucky2;

Most times when a review is posted and then removed, the user has failed to respond to a verification email. TA sends an email for you to confirm your review in an effort to reduce fraudulent postings.

Make sure TA has your correct email address and that no mail from TA has been caught up in a spam folder in your email system. You have to click on the link in the email to confirm your review. If you don't click the link in the email, within the allotted time frame, the review will be deleted.

For an exact answer, you will need to contact TA staff as my esteemed colleague HANS has suggested in his post above.

Best Regards

p.s. There is a link to the Help Centre at the bottom of every page.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,356 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My review dissapeared

>>One can guess the reason why....<<

Yes, if a review was not in accordance with the guidelines, it may be reported by *any* TripAdvisor member. TA staff then looks at it and determines if it should remain or be removed.

If you are implying that the business removed the review, you would be incorrect. Unless a review is in violation of the guidelines, a business cannot get a review removed. If that were true, there would be no poor reviews anywhere on this website!

>> Tripadvisor gives no contact info to ask what happened...<<

Yes, they do. Hans_DEN has kindly given you a direct link, but it can also be found in the Help Center. The Help Center link is located at the bottom of any TA page.

>>just be careful, maybe some of the reviews we see are really selective.....<<

By that you mean . . . what?

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: My review dissapeared

One can guess the reason why....

-------

Or one could contact TA and ask instead of beating about the bush and making vague accusations ........

Manchester, United...
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: My review dissapeared

Yes, I agree with you.

I never leave reviews but on an occasion of choosing a chip shop on tripadvisor ratings I found it to be totally ghastly and having spent my hard earned money there I left an honest review and was within their guidelines but it was removed.

Really selective scoring

Terrible Trip Advisor!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
62,293 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: My review dissapeared

Reviews are not removed on a whim. There will be a guideline that has been violated.

Post your review here so someone can troubleshoot it. Hopefully, you keep your reviews in a Word document.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: My review dissapeared

left an honest review and was within their guidelines but it was removed.

======

Well, you THINK it was within the guidelines. Perhaps it wasn't. Or, maybe you didn't respond to a verification email.

Over the years, people have complained here that their reviews were removed because (and they always say they were "honest" LOL as though TA has a lie detector) either they were (a) bad reviews, or (b) good reviews (stating that TA "obviously" only wants only bad reviews) or on one memorable post, (c) someone said their review was "obviously" removed because it was just middling and that obviously proved that TA only wanted reviews that were either good or bad but not in between :-)

All this despite the evidence of thousands of good bad and indifferent reviews. Sometimes people even post that TA "obviously" doesn't accept bad reviews despite the fact they themselves have other bad reviews posted here !!

People make their minds up on the flimsiest of evidence or none.

If you actually are interested in knowing ,ask TA using the address posted above. Then do report back with what it was. My money is either not within guidelines or didn't respond to a verification email.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,761 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: My review dissapeared

MrsJohnson

Do you still have a copy of the review that you can post on here for some of us to look at???

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
3,030 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: My review dissapeared

Hi chucky2

If you put the exact name of the business in your review then it also can not be challenged as in the wrong location.

"We went to Joe's Pizza and ........"

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,761 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: My review dissapeared

"If you put the exact name of the business in your review then it also can not be challenged as in the wrong location"

Well it can be if the review for Joe's Pizza is attached to the listing for say Joel's Pizza