We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flip Key payment SCAM!!!!

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
106 posts
102 reviews
Save Topic
Flip Key payment SCAM!!!!

I tried to pay for a vacation rental last night through "Pay Now"/Flip Key on TripAdvisor site and each time I submitted my info (i.e. address, credit card number. etc), it would come back and highlight a box that said I didn't put the information in correctly. The box highlighted was blank, so I assumed I had written something incorrectly, and therefore inputted my info again and clicked submit. My credit card has now been charged 3 times, yet the property owner does not see any record of me trying to pay. This is absolutely ridiculous. I will be contacting FlipKey as well as the Better Business Bureau and Attorney General's office in my state. This is certainly a scam, and there are many posts on TripAdvisor indicating that the same things have happened in the past! Why hasn't this been something that has been fixed? There are posts going all the way back to 2011 indicating that similar things have happened when people have tried to pay rentals via FlipKey. This is absolutely unacceptable!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,039 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flip Key payment SCAM!!!!

Hi Anne,

The forums are primarily member-driven and I'm a volunteer. I'd suggest that you contact Flipkey Support to get this sorted out. Here's a Flipkey Help page which includes an email address to use to contact Flipkey staff regarding problems making payments:

…flipkey.com/hc/en-us/articles/200902907-Som…

To me a scam means intentional intent; this sounds like some kind of glitch which is something quite different.

Regards,

L4

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flip Key payment SCAM!!!!

Of course it's not a scam,it's obviously a mixup due to ineptness on their part, your hyperbole is ludicrous.

3. Re: Flip Key payment SCAM!!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 January 2014, 21:00
Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
106 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flip Key payment SCAM!!!!

Actually, their BBB rating of an F suggests that I am not ludicrous, and if you review other Flip Key reviews on here and the internet, it seems as though this is certainly not a one-time "glitch" or mixup. Complaints are from both travelers and rental owners.

5. Re: Flip Key payment SCAM!!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 January 2014, 21:00
UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flip Key payment SCAM!!!!

So do they keep the money? Do credit card companies refuse to refund? Do they take payments via mule bank accounts so they can't be traced?

I'm not defending their ineptness, I'm quite happy to believe they are cr*p, but to call it a scam leads you open to libel charges, you are accusing the people running the organisation of theft, indeed the entire organisation if being a criminal organisation. If you really believe that, call the police.

Edited: 02 January 2014, 21:18
Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
106 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flip Key payment SCAM!!!!

They have now charged my card 6 times, and my credit card company cannot find an accurate or workable phone number for them (and thus cannot communicate to officially dispute charges). Certainly I see what you are saying about the word scam and in definition the word scam means that it is purposefully dishonest...and maybe that is not the case, but when others on the BBB website are reporting that they do not even respond to complaints and people never get their money refunded from them, I would say it is pretty close to scam. Maybe the company is just that dysfunctional, but when it is a pattern happening to multiple people, it seems to be a way to scam customers. I too have tried to contact Flip Key directly and have not heard anything back yet.

So yes, as of now, they are "keeping my money" because my credit card has no one to send an official dispute to. And now I have to put in a ton of leg work to get money back, due to a site that is seemingly endorsed by TripAdvisor and their "Peace of Mind" guarantee.

Additionally, the owner of the vacation property asked me to avoid using her property's name, because then Flip Key won't allow her to list her property on their site any longer....they sound like a big bunch of bullies to me.

Also, comment # 3 on here was recently removed...that comment was from another user who simply said that there have been numerous complaints about Flip Key in the forums. Interesting that TripAdvisor staff removed that.

I know this sounds like venting---and maybe some of it is b/c I am certainly very frustrated--but I would have never even used Flip Key if I had read the things about it that I am reading now. Obviously, that is my own fault, and from now on I will definitely read the BBB website before I make any future transactions, but because it seemed so common on TripAdvisor (and I generally think this is a good website) I did not even think to "research" them before hand. My mistake, but I think others should be warned!

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flip Key payment SCAM!!!!

Interesting that TripAdvisor staff removed that.

======

Not TA, it was removed by people reading this thread who thought it inappropriate. Why they did that, I have no idea, it may be the hyperbole perhaps but then you'd think they would have voted yours down as well, there are a lot of trigger happy people around who vote posts down for reasons that seem outlandish to me.

If I was you I wouldn't be very happy with my credit card company either, the fact they cant find any way to contact them to dispute surely should raise alarm flags, not make them say "oh we cant do anything then". Not that this excuses FlipKey of course.

Perhaps those who voted those posts down would have the courage to say why they did that?

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse
Level Contributor
3,958 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flip Key payment SCAM!!!!

I would have thought that the credit card company has a transaction (or several!) on file with a source for the transaction that they can contact. I doubt very much that they would put the onus on you to find out that information. They should at the very least be able to put those payments on hold (not forcing you to pay them) while things get sorted out. Has this happened? If not, then you should be making sure they do. if so, then you are at least not out of pocket while this is going on.

As others have said using "SCAM!!!!" in the title is really OTT and inappropriate. I have my property listed with FlipKey and have been very happy with the service they provide our customers that have successfully booked through them. If this were a true scam, then that wouldn't be happening.

FlipKey's address (from their website):

FlipKey, Inc

179 Lincoln St., Suite 405

Boston, MA 02111

I would suggest you write a letter to them and outlines your issue. Why are you complaining on a public forum before you have given the company even the first chance to rectify this mistake?

if you don't want to write a letter, go to http://www.flipkey.com/learn_more/basics/ and at the bottom you will see a link called "Click here to contact FlipKey's Customer Support Team."

It sounds like you had some sort of issue with their website, and the first thing you did was come post here about a "SCAM!!!!" (after maybe researching whether other people had complained about them) rather than actually taking any concrete steps to get your issue resolved in a satisfactory way.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
106 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flip Key payment SCAM!!!!

I have contacted them & have only gotten generic form emails in return. I have since contacted the BBB & they are following up. I did not "run here" to post first; I posted on here to give my experience with them. Which is all it is--my experience. I think it's important to post experiences on a travel site---positive or negative---and people can make their own choices & decisions after reviewing what they choose.

I am glad to hear you have had a good experience with them; the 20 negative reviews on BBB (and 1 positive review) seem to suggest that you are in the minority. The site seems like a great idea in theory and I was initially excited to find it & thought it would be helpful for future trips.

In terms of my credit card company, the phone number officially listed for Flip Key was not active/an incorrect number. They are continuing to work on it & are quite helpful.

In the end, I would personally not use them in the future---but I hope other people have better success with them, bc it does seem like a convenient way to search for rentals!