We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Businesses marked as CLOSED

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
3,632 posts
195 reviews
Save Topic
Businesses marked as CLOSED

I have started seeing TripAdvisor mark businesses as CLOSED.

I recently reported two bars that appeared in the mass-upload of new listings taken from Facebook, which actually closed down months ago. Usually I get a response to say the listing has been removed. With these I got a response to say the listings have been marked as CLOSED.

An example:

http://tinyurl.com/od7osb9

And how it appears on the rankings page (scroll to the bottom of the list):

http://tinyurl.com/ozhcz2p

I wonder if this how all closure reports are now going to be actioned from now on and are these going to sit like this forever?

Edited: 10 January 2014, 00:12
Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,579 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Businesses marked as CLOSED

Very interesting - thanks for the info! I'm also curious to see how this plays out.

Newton...
Destination Expert
for Newton
Level Contributor
3,323 posts
TripAdvisor Staff  
Save Reply
2. Re: Businesses marked as CLOSED

Thanks for pointing this out BayB0y and I apologize for not posting about this a few days ago. As of Monday we are now showing closed restaurants and attractions on our site. This is helpful to users who are confused when they cannot locate a recommended restaurant or attraction on the site that happens to have just closed.

Additionally, our members had been disappointed that their review counts decreased as restaurants/attractions which they once reviewed closed (and its reviews were removed from our website along with the listing). Going forward, review counts will not go down when a restaurant or attraction closes, and the review will stay on the listing.

Please let us know if you have any questions! This will only affect properties that close after this past Monday (i.e. we won't bring back properties that were previously removed and display them as closed).

Jeanine

Jeanine

Edited: 10 January 2014, 01:34
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,789 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Businesses marked as CLOSED

Using the mobile version of the site, I don't see the closed indication on the examples, Fyi.

Newton...
Destination Expert
for Newton
Level Contributor
3,323 posts
TripAdvisor Staff  
Save Reply
4. Re: Businesses marked as CLOSED

Hi Noah,

Thanks for pointing that out- I see that too. There must be a lag with the mobile website, let me see what I can find out.

Jeanine

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
3,632 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Businesses marked as CLOSED

Thanks Jeanine for responding!

It's a pity though that in cases where there are no reviews against a listing, and the businesses closed several months earlier BEFORE they were even listed, that such listings cannot simply be taken down completely as before.

The example I provided was actually listed once before, removed when reported as closed, and now relisted following the Facebook link-up that is auto-creating new listings.

USA
Level Contributor
6,989 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Businesses marked as CLOSED

Is BayB0y's example of Margate Nightlife the way closed businesses should be shown? Page 1 shows

"1 closed attraction in Margate - The Regal", page 2 shows "1 closed attraction in Margate - The Madhouse BAR". Perhaps page should show "2 closed attractions in Margate".

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
Level Contributor
4,882 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Businesses marked as CLOSED

I think this is a positive change, among other benefits it should make it quicker and easier to restore a listing to open status should it be mistakenly reported as closed,

However I do think places that do not have any reviews at all should continue to be deleted otherwise TA will become increasingly cluttered with the mistaken listings generated by trawling Facebook and other unreliable sources.

>> Additionally, our members had been disappointed that their review counts decreased as restaurants/attractions which they once reviewed closed (and its reviews were removed from our website along with the listing). Going forward, review counts will not go down when a restaurant or attraction closes, and the review will stay on the listing

Members are also confused and disappointed when reviews are deleted following a change of ownership or remodelling especially as the listing still exists with newer reviews present. It is not obvious to them why their review appears to have been singled out for deletion.

Has TA got any plans to address this? I think the easiest solution would be to leave the review title in the users profile so that it still counted towards the badge total but show a status of 'Review removed following remodelling'

Edited: 10 January 2014, 14:09
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
192 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Businesses marked as CLOSED

Hi all,

Glad you noticed our change. :-) As Jeanine said, this change is as of Monday.

Not only did we want reviewers to be able to see their reviews for closed locations, but we wanted to be sure that site visitors found the restaurants and attractions that may have been recommended or mentioned to them. We do receive requests to add places that are already closed; previously the requester didn't know that we already had the place, but had removed it. Now, visitors will find the place and see that it is closed.

Our mobile and tablet sites will soon follow suit, but as PDXNoah pointed out, are not yet doing so.

Thanks to BayB0y for the example and hoogo for finding the issue (with attractions only) of not combining all closed locations into one list. We're still working out some of the kinks and, yes, it might make sense to simply remove ones without any reviews. Mymsman, no current plans to change how we handle reviews for renovated properties, but both TA_Jeanine and I noted your comment and will pass it along.

Thanks again,

TA_Kitts

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,892 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Businesses marked as CLOSED

>> We do receive requests to add places that are already closed <<

Now that is a fascinating statement to me! If a business is closed, why would somebody go through the hoops of adding it to the TA database, only to perhaps write a "review" about it saying it's closed?

[...shakes head in wonder...]

Otherwise, at first glance I think this may be a good idea.

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
42,135 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Businesses marked as CLOSED

TA_Titts and/or TA_Jeanine:

Could you please post what is Tripadvisor doing to make sure that reported closed business are indeed closed BEFORE adding CLOSED to the listing page? Are you contacting owners and verifying that business are closed prior to putting such sign on listing pages?

There was one owner on this forum a few days ago who reported the CLOSED signed on her listing when her business is open. There is one more post on the Owners' forum about the same issue.

Silvia