We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reporting Reviews -- How to???

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
44,075 posts
266 reviews
Save Topic
Reporting Reviews -- How to???

Ever since TA changed the report problem with review options, I'm having problems choosing how to report. I don't think we ever got any substantive guidance on this.

Options for reporting:

How does this review violate our guidelines?

- Inappropriate language/content

- This person already reviewed this business

- Not an original review

- Not the traveler's own experience

- Off topic or irrelevant

- Promotional or commercial content

- Review is not consistent with rating given

How do you report:

1. A review that it is not substantive. "General discussion that does not detail a substantial experience will not be posted." What is considered a substantial experience?

2. A review that has rated one of the individual categories but that from the text you can tell that hasn't been experienced. "No ratings or comments about aspects of a business you did not experience."

3. A review of a multi-day tour or week-long language class.

I find myself always choosing Off-Topic/Irrelevant. It this a catch-all for most review guideline violations?

Silvia

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
3,912 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reporting Reviews -- How to???

Hi Silvia,

For these such examples that don't fit, I ignore "Review violates guidelines" and use "Review posted to wrong location" instead, then "No", and then use the comments box to explain why I'm reporting it. I find these still seem to get read and acted upon.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,233 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reporting Reviews -- How to???

If it something other than the standard options, I use "Review is suspicious", then "Other/None of the above". That opens a box and I politely describe why I feel the review is in violation.

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
44,075 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reporting Reviews -- How to???

Thanks, BayB0y & half-Brit. I will try those options then.

I wish TA could come up with some guidance and post it in the Help Center so that we don't have to look for workarounds for reporting reviews that violate guidelines.

Silvia

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
61,646 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reporting Reviews -- How to???

Another option:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/GeneralSupport

then >>> Reviews

then >>> Question about guidelines

then >>> text box for pasting the URL and commenting.

5. Re: Reporting Reviews -- How to???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 January 2015, 06:18