We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Racial references

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,031 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Racial references

This may have come up before, but I have not seen it addressed......

Several times lately I have noticed the race of a traveler (or group of travelers) being mentioned on the forums and although the poster does not actually say anything defamatory the mention of the race of any group of people seems totally irrelevant to the topic......the one I read today told about how lucky the timing of her trip was because it avoided the "Asians".....

It just feels wrong to me and usually I would report the post, but I don't see an adequate reason listed for this......Any thoughts ??

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,672 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Racial references

You also see such things mentioned in reviews as well - "loud Americans", drunk Brits", etc which are not really raciest but just in bad taste

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,031 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Racial references

I agree ff, it is in poor taste, and in this case also inaccurate.......I can't think of any times when we here in Alaska are overrun with any particular race in any particular season.......tourism is a huge industry in our state and we encourage everyone to enjoy our lovely scenery and adventures......just leaves a bad taste in my mouth to see it tarnished by someone's ignorant perceptions.......

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,197 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Racial references

"Not family friendly" might fit.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
55,474 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Racial references

Racism is a statement that includes somehow the belief that your race is superior to others and has a right to dominate others. I read that post and believe it is not a racist statement. I don't think there is any real reason, or guideline either, to warrant its removal. It does show a bias, but it is not "illegal" on TA, I think.

However, a comment in the thread that "notices" it and states that Alaska welcomes all nationalities might be an option to consider. Something like that would be a soft approach, but probably effective in "sending" a message, and hopefully be noticed by the poster.

My 2 cents.

5. Re: Racial references

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 February 2015, 06:19