We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How do TA vet posting of unlisted establishments

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
751 reviews
Save Topic
How do TA vet posting of unlisted establishments

I am travelling around SE Asia and I have come across some good and bad establishments, which I know my fellow travellers would be interested in. However I did reviews on two new restaurants in Thailand which were not posted and I received no correspondence, I did a review on a new hotel which was posted, then three hotels on the trot refused with the only comment that TA was unable to verify my comment. The reviews ranged from no 1 being excellent, no 2 being not recommended and no 3 may well be a good one (newly opened). In Pakbeng Lao TA only has two listings neither actually in the town, yet they turned down a review of a new establishment that traveller would be interested in 200 - 400 a day from the slow boats. For all of these reviews I have taken photos to be put on the posted review.

It seems counter productive to me to make it difficult to bring new and useful information to TA, and aren't they shy when it comes to talking to the very people that support their business.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How do TA vet posting of unlisted establishments

TA have to tread a fine line between accepting anything, and being very very strict on evidence. They have been spoofed before so they possibly err on the side of caution.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,039 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How do TA vet posting of unlisted establishments

Hi RonA_Plymouth,

This forum, like the others, is primarily member-driven and I'm a member like you.

>However I did reviews on two new restaurants in Thailand which were not posted and I received no correspondence,<

Are those two reviews showing as pending in your Contributions? If they are showing as pending, then they can take up to two weeks to be published to the site. They would then be in queue for processing and there's no reason to contact TA Staff. If it's been over two weeks and they aren't posted or they are not showing up in pending, you can contact TA Review Staff to find out why:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/UserReviewSupport

Select: status of review

.>TA was unable to verify my comment.<

TA Staff will randomly send out verification emails; these sometimes end up in the spam box. If you don't respond within the time frame, the reviews won't be posted or will be taken down. It's possible that the email bounced. You can check in your subscriptions to see if there's a message from TA Staff saying they were unable to contact you. You can resubmit these reviews; hopefully you kept a copy in a word processing program or by emailing them to yourself.

In terms of how they were rated or if they were positive or negative would not be the issue; the reviews just need to comply with the guidelines.

.>n Pakbeng Lao TA only has two listings neither actually in the town, yet they turned down a review of a new establishment that traveller would be interested in 200 - 400 a day from the slow boats.<

I'm not sure what you mean by 200-400 a day. Perhaps someone else knows if TA lists boat restaurants. Did you do a listing request? If so, did you include an address?

Regards,

L4

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
751 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How do TA vet posting of unlisted establishments

Hi Joe

I gave them addresses and all the info required on all the proposed listing, I also have a track record for reporting spoof listings. You will also see that I have a track record, I have never had a posting challenged. The point I a making there is no consistancy on there policy, do they have a policy? It takes time to write reviews, they should at least be given some consideration otherwise only the corperate groups will be listed.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,039 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How do TA vet posting of unlisted establishments

You can see the list of listing guidelines here:

…tripadvisor.com/sections/200154947-Listing-…

Regards,

L4

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
751 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How do TA vet posting of unlisted establishments

Hi L4

It looks like this is not an exact science, the two in Thailand were over a month ago. The emails stating that the comment were unverafiable from TA staff were clear it was not up for discussion and sent from a non reply email address.

As you might imagine travelling does not allow the luxury of backing up reviews and from what your saying there is an element of lottery in posting to TA, which is a shame as it puts people off reviewing.

The 200-400 is people looking for a room about six o'clock every evening as the slow boats from the Mekon come in and the only listing TA have is for a couple out of town.

Thanks for your view was appreciated.

Cheers Ron, written with the help of a very dodgy modem in Lao.

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse
Level Contributor
4,350 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How do TA vet posting of unlisted establishments

Ron,

It doesn't take a while for TA to review the submissions. This goes doubly so for new establishments. Others have given the types of sites that they list, but it's also important that the TA staff be able to verify this information - the most common way to do this is a website that lists the property. Do the facilities that you tried to get added have websites? If not, then getting them to verify it may be more tricky.

The other thing that is vital is the confirmation email that they send out randomly after you write a review - many people have that redirected to "junk" folders by their email provider. It's important to look there once in a while, otherwise they will reject reviews as unverified.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,039 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How do TA vet posting of unlisted establishments

Hi Ron,

Sorry, I'm getting a bit confused when you're talking about adding a new listing and when it's a review. To add a new listing, it helps to have other information (e.g. a website or two) where it mentions the listing so that TA can verify the information. I know it makes it hard to add certain places such as you're describing..

Maybe when your holiday is over, you'll have more time to look around for other information. So, if they decline it for lack of information, then you'd need to find more if you want to try again. New listing requests can take 4-6 weeks (sometimes more, sometimes less).

Thanks for explaining what you meant about the boat. My suggestion is to write your reviews in an email to yourself; that way you'll have a copy.

Regards,

L4

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
751 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How do TA vet posting of unlisted establishments

Thanks for the feedback guy's, but rather that alay my concerns it seems that now what you are saying that is a hotel or any establishment who is not listed on a website throughout the world cannot be on TA, wow that is going to wipe out a huge number and favour only those who appear on Booking.com and Agoda.

Just to clarify I don't have spam folder and thus get all TA mails, an increasing number of which are spams from TA.

I will be travelling until early July and will be visiting many places and wanted to give information to fellow travellers, e.g as I have done about friendship bridge @ Huay Xai. However this may be difficult if Liberty Media is going to be selective about who is allowed on TA.

Cheers again guys happy travels

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
58,381 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How do TA vet posting of unlisted establishments

I don't think it's so complicated Ron.

Anyone can submit a request for a property to be listed, including the hotel owners/managers themselves. If the business has its own website, it will be possible for TA to verify the business and it has a better chance of being listed. The second part of that is that the business must meet the criteria for being listed. See Lucky's post 4 for the link to the guidelines.

It does not mean that a business must be on some other website. What does Liberty Media have to do with anything?

If you would like to filter what spam you get from TA, go into your subscriptions (Your Trip Advisor at the top of the page) and turn off the email subscriptions you don't want. You can do that one at a time until you come to a comfortable level and type of email notifications. There are 3 choices in the first section and 6 choices in the second.

Edited: 17 February 2014, 07:48
Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
751 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How do TA vet posting of unlisted establishments

Hi Muftimixandmatch

Don't you think the requirement for a website is very first world, I submitted six new listings and only one was approved, none had their own websites. In fact having a website does not mean that it is actually a bonifide business.

According to that web liberty media own TA, after all it is a business.

Thanks for the feedback

Ron